How to Prepare for MBA Entrance Exams? - Section-Wise Tips, Strategy & Guide
How to Prepare for MBA Entrance Exams: Candidate who wants to join the Master of Business Administration (MBA) course is required to sit for the entrance examination. Instead of chasing competition, students who opt for a smart preparation strategy are ace in MBA entrance exams.
However, MBA exam preparation requires some challenges that include the breadth of the syllabus, the difficulty level of the questions, and the level of the competition but they are not the only ones.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
Ongoing MBA Admission 2021
Tips to Prepare for MBA Entrance Exams
Before starting the preparations, it is important to come up with a study plan to deal with the exam preparation, considering every aspect of the MBA entrance exam. This plan does not have to be perfect in every sense and you have to work hard enough to help you join the desired MBA colleges in India.
In this article, we have provided the best study tips and MBA exam preparation strategy. Take a look at these tips to see which of these can be incorporated into your study routine, how to prepare for the MBA entrance exams, and how to prepare a smart study plan for participating in the MBA admission process in India.
List of Top MBA Entrance Exams
Choosing the right MBA entrance exams for you is very important when preparing for MBA admission. It depends on personal decision and many factors:
Choice of MBA college
Suitable exam pattern
Familiarity with the syllabus or type of questions
The difficulty level of entrance exam, etc
Here is a list of the most popular MBA entrance exams conducted in India.
Name of the MBA Entrance Exam
About the Exam
Common Admission Test (CAT)
National-Level Entrance Examination conducted by Indian Institute of Management (IIM). It is the most widely accepted choice by MBA colleges, but it is mainly taken to join Tier-1 MBA colleges.
Management Aptitude Test (MAT)
MAT is again a national-level examination conducted by the All India Management Association (AIMA). It is conducted 4 times every year and is mostly accepted by Tier-2 and Tier-3 MBA colleges.
Common Management Aptitude Test (CMAT)
Another national-level entrance examination conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). CMAT is conducted to enroll for AICTE and UGC-recognized MBA colleges in India.
Maharastra Common Entrance Test (MAH-CET)
Also known as MAH MBA CET or MAH MBA/ MMS CET, it is a state-level MBA entrance examination conducted by the State Common Entrance Cell of Maharashtra and accepted for admission in MBA colleges within the state.
Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT)
XAT is an MBA entrance exam conducted by Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI) in Jamshedpur. However, this exam is very popularly accepted by many MBA colleges across the country.
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
GMAT is another popular entrance exam for MBA colleges. It is administered by the Graduate Management Admissions Council (GMAC).
This choice is often chosen by the candidates because it has a different overall approach to testing. However, it is accepted by a limited number of colleges compared to the many MBA entrance exams on this list.
These are the popular exams for MBA admission. Many MBA entrance exams are conducted in India, in which specific institutes conduct their courses. Check out the schedule of MBA Entrance Examinations and go through our CAT vs other MBA Entrance Exam comparisons to choose the best MBA exam for your need.
Exam Pattern of MBA Entrance Exam
Tips for MBA Entrance Exams: Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Best Books
The exact exam pattern for each MBA entrance exam is different. However, there are some basic elements that are common to every MBA entrance exam in India.
Verbal Ability (VA)
This section tests a candidate's English language use and comprehension skills. Students must develop good grammar and reading skills to ace this section.
Reasoning Ability (RA)
In this section, candidates should use their logical and analytical reasoning skills to solve questions. Questions test a candidate's ability to think out the box and solve complex problems quickly and accurately.
Quantitative Ability (QA)
This section tests a candidate's mathematical ability. However, it is not a test to see if a candidate is familiar with complex theories in mathematics, but rather to check their simplicity and familiarity with numbers and number functions.
MBA Entrance Exam Syllabus - Section-Wise
Often, the syllabus for the MBA entrance exam is very common. The table below details the section-wise syllabi of the MBA Entrance Examinations in India.
Students should note that this is not a complete syllabus for MBA entrance exams. Take a look at the official syllabus provided by the MBA entrance exam you take to make sure you cover all the topics for the exam.
Preparation Tips for MBA Entrance Exams
Now that we have gone through the exam system and syllabus, here are some preparation tips for MBA Entrance Examinations in India.
Preparation Tips for Reasoning Ability
The Reasoning Ability section is considered very difficult by the majority of MBA candidates. This is an area where tricks fail and students have to trust their skills to solve questions.
Here are some preparation tips for reasoning ability in MBA entrance exams.
Training is important when it comes to this area. The more questions you solve, the better you will be at identifying important information and developing the right ability to solve these questions.
Solve puzzles. Solving puzzles enhances your ability to think out of the box and sharpens your analytical skills. Developing a daily habit of solving puzzles will increase your speed and accuracy in this section.
Find your own hacks. Many candidates create their own ways of creating useful maps or codes to solve these questions.
Avoid what needs to be avoided. For each candidate, there is a title in the reasoning section, which proves to be very difficult. Avoiding such questions in the exam, it is better to spend the saved time judging others.
Preparation Tips for Verbal Ability
Questions in the Verbal Ability section can ask a student to find an error in a particular part of the sentence, fill in a paragraph with the correct parts of grammar, answer questions based on a paragraph, and other tasks.
Here are the best tips for the verbal ability section in MBA entrance exams.
Study the rules of grammar from books to the high school level. You can correctly identify different parts of speech in a sentence and find any errors in sentence structure.
Develop the habit of reading. The faster and more accurately you can read, the faster you can navigate through this section.
Identify the types of questions that will appear in the exam using the previous year's question papers. Often, solving questions helps you to read clear ideas faster.
Increase English usage in your daily routine. Changing small habits like using proper English in texting, listening to English music, watching English movies helps a lot in understanding the language.
Preparation Tips for Quantitative Ability
Quantitative Ability questions in MBA entrance exams are based on the basics up to class 10. However, questions are made more difficult by the use of a number of tactics, including adding unnecessary information to the questions and presenting questions with long or difficult numbers.
Below are some tips to help you prepare for the quantitative ability section in the MBA exams.
Reduce calculations. The questions in this section are often confused with adding longer or harder numbers. However, there are many tricks that allow a candidate to solve questions without doing any calculations.
Work on mental mathematics. There are some questions that inevitably lead to calculations. While some choices provide a basic screen calculator, doing mental calculations always proves to be fast.
Do not use traditional methods. Traditional methods taught in school to solve these questions often fail in MBA entrance exams. Instead, use alternative methods to help achieve the answer faster.
Hide the entire syllabus. Even if you are the best at a topic, it is easy to change questions to stump even the best candidates. Therefore, it is very important to include all the topics in the quantitative ability section as it enhances your exams.
Best Books to Prepare for MBA Entrance Exams
The table below contains the best and well-known books that you can use for MBA entrance exams.
Wiley's ExamXpert Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
Captain AK Kalia
How to Prepare for Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension
Arun Sharma, Meenakshi Upadhayay
Word Power Made Easy
A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning
R S Aggarwal
Complete Guide for MAT and Other MBA Entrance Exams
Koncepts of LR - Logical Reasoning for CAT & Other MBA Exams
How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT
Quantitative Aptitude Quantum Cat
Sarvesh K Sharma
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
S Chand PublishingR S Aggarwal
Top MBA Entrance Exams
CAT 2023 is conducted by iimcat for MBA Entrance exam for MBA ...
IIM Ahmedabad Admission Criteria 2023-25: IIMA has released th...
CAT 2022- View all details about CAT 2022 exam dates, exam pat...
IIM will not release CAT exam syllabus 2023 for MBA admission....
Questions related to CAT
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
neetpg 2022 rank is 87k,st cat ,any possibility to get MD/MS seat in mp gov medical colg?
That's a too far rank...may be you could achieve seat in a private college...
To know rank college predictor, check out the link provided
And also stay updated through careers360.
Hope it helps .
Do we have any fees concessions in Mba by clearing exams like CAT, GMAT ETC
No. We don't get any fees concessions by clearing these entrance exams. Although if you have scored extremely well both in your entrance exams as well in your undergraduate, then you might get a scholarships from the universities. You can also apply for other outer scholarships that are given to the students that have good scores and talent.
Hi, what percentile an NC-OBC female candidate should aim in CAT 2022 to get into IIM Ahmedabad? My profile is : 95/97/83. And I am from Arts background.
See since you are from arts background, and you also have a good academic record (barring your graduation percentage), so you can get a call for interview even a slightly lower percentile.
According to the previous trends, you can easily get into IIM Ahmedabad even at a percentile in the range of 92 to 95, which is a safe estimate for your admission in the OBC NCL category.
Hope I have answered your question. All the best!