What is the Difference Between MAT and CAT Exam?
CAT vs MAT: Management Aptitude Test (MAT) and Common Admission Test (CAT) are two of the most popular MBA entrance exams in India. Although the CAT score is accepted by 20 IIMs and more than 1,000 B-schools in India and 600+ management institutions offer admissions based on MAT scores. On this page, we are going to discuss every aspect of CAT vs MAT.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
CAT vs MAT
The two exams are similar in terms of syllabus but very different in other respects. The main difference between CAT vs MAT is the exam frequency. Although MAT is conducted four times a year, CAT is conducted only once a year. In this article, we discussed the difference between the MAT exam and the CAT exam. Knowing what is the difference between MAT and CAT exam will help you decide which exam to choose this academic year.
Ongoing MBA Admission
MAT vs CAT: Overview
Let's take a quick look at what is the difference between the MAT and CAT Exam:
Exam Full Form
Management Aptitude Test
Common Admission Test
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% mark
Passing marks required for a bachelor’s degree
Four times a year (February, May, September, December)
Once a year (November)
Mode of Exam
Computer-Based Test (CBT)
Number of Sections
Number of questions
MAT vs CAT: Exam Conducting Body
Management Aptitude Test: The MAT exam is conducted by the All India Management Association (AIMA) for admissions to PGDM/ MBA courses offered at 600+ B-schools in India. MAT exam is conducted four times a year in three modes - Paper Based Test (PBT), Internet-Based Test (IBT), and Computer Based Test (CBT).
Common Admission Test: The CAT exam is conducted once a year for admissions to PGDM/ MBA courses. The exam is conducted by the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) on a rotation basis. Every year, one of the top IIMs is given the responsibility to conduct the CAT exam. CAT is a computer-based test (CBT) mode exam and is considered the toughest of all MBA entrance exams.
CAT vs MAT: Eligibility Criteria
Management Aptitude Test: The MAT exam is a boon for students who somehow do not excel at graduation. Any graduate with passing marks can appear for the MAT exam. No age limit or minimum percentage is required to appear for the MAT exam.
Common Admission Test: Students must hold a bachelor’s degree from any recognized university/ board with a minimum of 50 percent aggregate marks or equivalent CGPA in the qualifying exam. Candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD/ DA categories must have obtained a minimum of 45 percent aggregate marks or its equivalent.
CAT vs MAT: Frequency of Exam
Management Aptitude Test: MAT is conducted four times a year in February, May, September, and December. Dates of CBT, PBT, and IBT mode exams are different and candidates can choose one or more examination modes.
Common Admission Test: CAT exam is conducted once a year on the last Sunday of November, in two sessions: forenoon and afternoon. From 2020 onwards, CAT is conducted in three sessions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, CAT 2022 will be held on November 27, in 3 sessions.
Top Colleges in India offering Management Courses
CAT vs MAT: Exam Pattern
Management Aptitude Test: The MAT exam paper consists of questions about Language Comprehension, the Indian and Global Environment, Mathematical Skills, Data Analysis and Sufficiency, Intelligence, and Critical Reasoning. The India and Global Environment section has current affairs and GK questions. The MAT exam paper comprises a total of 200 questions (40 in each section).
Common Admission Test: Students appearing for CAT need to solve questions from sections like Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR), Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), and Quantitative Aptitude (QA). Normally, CAT has 100 questions to be solved in 3 hours (180 minutes). In CAT 2020, the exam duration was reduced to 120 minutes (2 hours) and questions to 76 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, the question was reduced from 76 to 66. Accordingly, we expect CAT 2022 to have the same number of questions this year as well.
MAT vs CAT: Exam Duration
Management Aptitude Test: Students need to solve the given questions in two and a half hours (150 Minutes). Students are required to solve 200 questions within the given time duration. There is no sectional time limit so the students can solve the MAT paper in a sequence they prefer.
Common Admission Test: The duration of the CAT exam is 120 minutes i.e. 2 hours. There is a sectional time limit of 40 mins for each section (VARC, DILR, QA). The students have to follow the given sequence to solve the CAT exam paper and as soon as 40 minutes of one section gets over, the computer screen jumps to the next section automatically. For PwD candidates the time limit will be 53 Minutes and 20 Seconds for each section.
CAT vs MAT: Marking Scheme
Management Aptitude Test: The total of MAT exam marks is 200. Every correct response carries a +1 mark, and a -0.25 mark is deducted for every wrong response. The score of the India and Global Environment section is not taken into consideration for calculating the final MAT percentile.
Common Admission Test: The total of CAT exam marks is 198. For every correct response, +3 marks are awarded and there is a negative marking of -1 for every incorrect response. In case a student does not attempt a question, no marks will be deducted.
MAT vs CAT: Difficulty Level
Management Aptitude Test: The MAT exam is an easy exam when compared to CAT. The questions in the MAT exam are of easy to moderate difficulty level.
Common Admission Test: CAT exam is considered one of the toughest MBA exams. The question paper is usually moderate to high difficulty level.
CAT exam vs MAT exam: Examination Fee
Management Aptitude Test: The registration fee for the MAT exam is Rs 1,650 for one paper (either CBT, PBT, or IBT). Students willing to appear for both PBT and CBT need to pay Rs 2,750.
Common Admission Test: The registration fee for the CAT exam is Rs 2,300 for the General and NC-OBC categories. For SC/ ST/ PwD (DA) categories, the CAT registration fee is Rs 1,150.
Top Colleges Accepting MAT scores in India
MAT scores are accepted by over 600 MBA colleges in India. Below is a list of colleges that accept MAT scores to enroll in MBA programs.
Top Colleges Accepting CAT Score apart from IIMs
School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
Christ University, Bangalore
National Institute of Technology Warangal
Prin LN Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research, Mumbai
Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Kolkata
Top MBA Entrance Exams
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - What is the Difference Between MAT and CAT Exam?
Question: How many attempts can I get in the CAT exam?
The CAT is conducted only once a year, so a student gets a single attempt in a particular academic year. However, the CAT exam did not cap on the number of attempts. Students can appear as many times as they like.
Question: What are the registration fees for CAT and MAT exams?
The registration fee for MAT is Rs 1,650 for all candidates. CAT registration fee is Rs 2300 for the General category and Rs 1150 for the Reserved category.
Question: How many times the MAT exam will be conducted in a year?
The MAT exam is conducted four times a year. There are four phases of the MAT exam - February, May, September, and December. Students can appear as many times as they want in the MAT exam.
Question: What are the modes of the MAT exam?
MAT exam is conducted in Computer Based Test (CBT), Paper Based Test (PBT), and Internet-Based Test (IBT) modes.
Question: Is the MAT exam easier than CAT?
Yes, the MAT is very easier than the CAT exam. The CAT exam is usually more difficult and has a section-time limit, which makes cracking even harder. MAT, on the other hand, is generally moderate difficulty and has no segmentation time limit.
Question: What are the modes of the CAT exam?
CAT exam is conducted in only one mode which is Computer Based Test (CBT) mode in two shifts at multiple exam centres in various cities across India.
Get full details on CAT exam analysis for slot 1, slot 2, and ...
CAT 2022 Response Sheet - CAT conducting body will release the...
How to Calculate CAT Percentile 2022 - Get to know the method ...
CAT Result 2022 - IIM Bangalore will declare the CAT 2022 Resu...
Questions related to CAT
gjgvhj bobbo ikb oob o oh ik kb be i kbyfhvvigivjj vhogivig
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
how to start the quantitative aptitude preparation topics for CAT exam?
Although there are many online resources for CAT 2022 candidates, for many of them, preparing for the CAT mathematical ability part is one of the most tough and challenging undertakings. The QA part is regarded by the majority of elite CAT scorers as one of the most unexpected and time-consuming. And for candidates without an engineering-related educational background, learning how to prepare for the CAT quantity ability is like cracking a hard nut.
For every detailed information on how to prepare for cat quantitative aptitude section, you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you.
what is CAT exam? full information about it
The Common Admission Test is the full name of the exam. A prominent national MBA entrance exam is being taken. A computer-based test will be used to administer the CAT 2022 exam. A little over 2.3 lakh students are anticipated to sign up for the CAT 2022. At 20 IIMs and more than 1,000 B-Schools in India, CAT 2022 will be held for MBA and PGDM admissions.
For more information you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you