Vocabulary for MBA Entrance Exam: Expert tips to Improve Vocabulary
A good vocabulary not only enhances one’s command over the knowledge of words but also improves their personality. Also, learning vocabulary becomes a cakewalk when you realise even sparing some minutes out of your busy schedule to read the daily newspapers and good books or novels can help you to have an excellent vocabulary. All you need to inculcate reading habits if you are not the one who is more into reading. know more about the vocabulary enhancement tips given by Sumit Singh Gandhi, CEO, CATKing, Educare. Building your vocabulary is one of the simplest methods to boost the impact of your writing and make any writing work easier since you'll always have a variety of synonyms to choose from. It doesn't have to be tough or painful to expand your vocabulary.
Latest Updates for CAT
Stay up-to date with CAT News
Also read- CAT VARC Syllabus 2022
10 ways to Improve Vocabulary
Reading -“Reading books is the ultimate word frequency list”. Reading is great because it allows you to learn and to reinforce vocabulary. You learn the vocabulary in its context, together with another relevant vocabulary, and you also get the most frequently used and useful words.
Lookup for new words - You should look for the new words daily and try to grasp them.
Make a journal - Whatever new words you learned today try to jot them down. You keep revising them so that you don’t forget.
Speak up - Use good vocabulary in your conversation. This will help you to look different from the mass. Gradually, when you will sit for the interview you are going to notice that you are speaking so fluently and even using good words. This quite attracts the panellist often.
Get a good bilingual dictionary - It’s a great idea to look up obscure words you don’t quite grasp that come to you on the fly as you go about your day. You can also use the dictionary or thesaurus to look up unfamiliar words you come across in your daily life.
Play games - It’s not necessary to learn with books only. You can also learn while playing games. There are plenty of board games designed to increase your word power like unscramble, solve different kinds of puzzles.
Reading Idioms and Phrases - Idioms are particularly important since they allow you to express yourself in unique and unique ways. You may say "You hit the nail on the head" instead of "You're correct," which is a more complicated and fascinating statement. Idioms may also be rather amusing to employ, allowing you to express yourself more authentically while also showcasing your personality and sense of humour.
Surround yourself with English Speaker - You should try to converse in English as much as possible. You can watch some YouTube videos of CATKing and learn from them.
Learn Synonyms as well as Antonyms - Synonyms and antonyms might help you expand your vocabulary. Finding words with similar meanings that you can substitute for a commonly used word might provide you more options for expressing yourself. Understanding the antonym of a word – or precisely what the phrase does not represent – might help you grasp the meaning of the word more clearly.
Read from Different Sources:
You might be interested in- Best Study Material for CAT 2022
Read Norman Lewis - Reading Norman Lewis word power makes your vocabs quite strong. You can get access to CATKing dashboards where you get videos of vocabulary.
Watch English Movies - When you are watching English movies read the subtitles. This makes you read faster and fluently. As you see a new word jot it down in your diary.
Aeon Essay - Read different articles from aeon essays like philosophy, sociology, technology, etc.
News Reading - Make a habit of reading newspapers daily. There are various sources like The Financial Times, Economic Times, and Business World, etc. Build a habit to read and understand and form a storyline as you keep reading further to have an overall idea towards the end.
You can use a variety of apps and websites to help you learn vocabulary for the CAT. For candidates of the CAT, GRE, GMAT, and just common folks who want to enhance their vocabulary, there are a variety of apps available for both Android and iOS. These applications make learning new words enjoyable and interactive.
Power Vocab - This famous app is a meaningful matching game called Power vocab. Users match the meaning of their words to the meaning of their words, and vice versa. To improve your vocabulary, you can compete against other users or play timed activities.
Vocabulary.com - Another famous app that helps you learn new words and also remembers them later, through interactive games and puzzles.
7 Small Words is a fun game in which you are given seven definitions and tiles with two or three letter combinations on them that you must arrange into the seven words. You learn by narrowing down your options from words you already know to words you don’t.
Top Entrance MBA Exam
CAT Result 2022 - IIM Bangalore will declare the CAT 2022 Resu...
CAT previous year’s question papers with Solutions - Candidate...
Top MBA Colleges 60 Percentile in CAT 2022 - Find here a List ...
Top Colleges In India Accepting CAT Score - Candidates can che...
CAT 2022- View all details about CAT 2022 exam dates, exam pat...
Questions related to CAT
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
how to start the quantitative aptitude preparation topics for CAT exam?
Although there are many online resources for CAT 2022 candidates, for many of them, preparing for the CAT mathematical ability part is one of the most tough and challenging undertakings. The QA part is regarded by the majority of elite CAT scorers as one of the most unexpected and time-consuming. And for candidates without an engineering-related educational background, learning how to prepare for the CAT quantity ability is like cracking a hard nut.
For every detailed information on how to prepare for cat quantitative aptitude section, you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you.
what is CAT exam? full information about it
The Common Admission Test is the full name of the exam. A prominent national MBA entrance exam is being taken. A computer-based test will be used to administer the CAT 2022 exam. A little over 2.3 lakh students are anticipated to sign up for the CAT 2022. At 20 IIMs and more than 1,000 B-Schools in India, CAT 2022 will be held for MBA and PGDM admissions.
For more information you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you
i have ycmou digree in b.com can do cat exam ...
Yes, definitely! The only criterion for the Common Admission Test or CAT is that you should be a graduate, and since you have completed your Bachelor of Commerce or BCom, then you are fully eligible to appear for the same. However, it is a totally different matter that when you dive deep into it, you will find that they have other requirements like marks in graduation, Xth, XIIth and so on.
Hope I have answered your question. All the best!