CAT 2019 Topper Lakshya Jha stresses on, “ Confidence and rationality," makes way to IIM Calcutta
CAT 2019 Topper Interview Lakshya Jha - Seeking admission to one’s dream college and getting an opportunity to study the course of one’s choice after clearing all the stages of the selection process is a matter of joy. Having scored a high percentile in the Common Admission Test, CAT 2019 topper Lakshya Jha who made his way to Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta talks about the selection process at the institute, what were the type of questions that were asked. In an exclusive interaction with Careers360, CAT 2019 topper Lakshya Jha states that preparing for the interview and group discussion requires polishing your existing knowledge. He further added that it is pertinent to be well versed with academic knowledge and also about the field in which one is working. Read the full interview of CAT 2019 topper Lakshya Jha to know other vital tips which one must keep in mind as they face the panellists.
Latest: CAT answer key 2020 has been released in online mode on December 8. Check CAT result 2020 here.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
Watch Exclusive Video of CAT 2019 Topper Lakshya Jha Preparation Tips -
Careers360: Congratulations on converting to your desired institute! How do you feel?
Lakshya Jha: I feel happy to be part of my dream college. It feels good to be selected for the finance campus of India. Both the city and the campus have a rich legacy from which I hope to learn a lot.
Careers360: What is the selection procedure at IIM Kolkata?
Lakshya Jha: The process includes an Aptitude test also known as WAT. Post this, the candidate is called up for the writing ability test and the Interview. This year due to the pandemic, writing ability test was not considered for the final results.
Careers360: Please elaborate on your overall experience of the selection procedure at IIM Kolkata?
Lakshya Jha: It was one of the smoothest processes that I have witnessed. There were 3 panellists for the interview which included 2 professors and 1 alumnus. Both the administrative staff and the interview panellists were friendly and helpful.
Careers360: Which other B-Schools’ selection procedure did you appear for? How was your experience in other institutes vis a vis in the institute you have converted?
Lakshya Jha: Owing to the high percentile in CAT 2019, I was called for interviews from all the IIMs and other colleges like SPJIMR. Selection procedure for the top 3 IIMs which are IIM A, IIM B and IIM C are the same with just different weights to different aspects like college marks might have a weightage of 10 in some and 5 in some. The procedure consists of an Interview shortlist on the basis of your CAT score and some other factors. Post that the IIMs have a writing ability test and an interview.
Careers360: What was your AWT and PI topic and how did you structure it? Did you find it easy or you had a difficult time writing/ thinking about the topic?
Lakshya Jha: My AWT topic for IIM C was about whether the doomsday situation predicted by climate change activists is worse than it currently stands. My structure for the write up was exploring both the sides and then choosing the one with which I resonate.
Careers360: Did you get external help or join a coaching school to prepare for PI and AWT? When did you start your preparations for it?
Lakshya Jha: I took help from TIME CP centre and started my preparations around December
Careers360: Do you think that AWT and PI require some separate preparation apart from what you mentioned?
Lakshya Jha: The preparation was more about polishing what you are currently than anything else. I believe apart from the basic questions which include an introduction and why MBA, one can focus on his undergraduate academics and one’s work experience.
Careers360: Please share the AWT and PI topics which you were asked during the admission rounds?
Lakshya Jha: AWT topics –
1) Environmental doomsday is a hoax
2) Stores in metropolitan cities should be open 24/7
3) Kashmir and it becoming a Union Territory
4) Democracy and its relevance
PI generally revolves around your own profile.
Careers360: Are there ways to handle a situation when one has no answer to a question during PI?
Lakshya Jha: The best way is to acknowledge that you are not aware of the answer and provide an intelligent guess if you can think of one.
Careers360: How must one approach an AWT and PI topic? Could you share some Dos and Don’ts for the same?
Lakshya Jha: Make sure that you prepare the basic HR questions, which include an introduction and why MBA, apart from this it is important to revisit your profile and prepare answers for possible questions.
Careers360: Is there a particular kind of time management strategy that should be added to the candidate’s skillset? Will it help in writing a complete structured AWT and Personal Interview?
Lakshya Jha: I gave the first 5 minutes of an AWT for ideation and then went on to write my points. The personal interview requires constant practice and mock PIs.
Careers360: How did you feel when you faced the interviewers during the PI? Please share a few details like the size of your panel and your overall experience.
Lakshya Jha: I was nervous before facing the interview panellists but I made sure that I kept my nerves before entering the room. The panel size was 3. They were friendly and it was more of a conversation.
Careers360: Which interview turned out to be the best one? Enlighten us about the finest one according to you.
Lakshya Jha: IIM C was the best interview for me. It started off with data privacy in Delhi University results (I am a DU student). The follow-up questions were on my internship. As my internship was related to education policy there were questions asking my opinion on how to improve the education system of India. The interview ended with the question of why ‘IIM Calcutta’.
Careers360: What about the questions which you found difficult to answer? How did you reply to those?
Lakshya Jha: There was one question on profit and loss statement of IIM Calcutta, the hard part about it was to think of revenue streams for the institution apart from student fees. The interview panellists did give my nudges here and there and that’s how I solved the question. It is important to convert the interview to a friendly conversation and include a panellist in your answer process.
Careers360: So in those situations, was the panel easy or harsh on you? What should one do when s/he has no answer?
Lakshya Jha: The panel was friendly and made sure that I was comfortable during the 30 minutes long interview. If one doesn’t know the answer they should acknowledge the lack of an answer and tell the panellists about the same. Having said that, it is always a nice idea to make an intelligent guess by saying “Though If I were to guess”
Careers360: What were the most fascinating questions you were asked? Please share your answers too.
Lakshya Jha: The Profit and loss of IIM Calcutta was a fascinating question which you generally don’t expect in the interview. It required a lot of thinking to answer the same. I went on to include the student fees, placement charges, sponsorships for research, alum funding, rent from shops inside as income sources for the institute. For the expenses part, I included the salary of teachers, administrative staff and helper. Apart from that, I included utility charges, capital expenditure and library maintenance fees.
Careers360: How different is an IIM interview from a non-IIM yet top B-School interview? Are there major differences? (If you have appeared for IIMs)
Lakshya Jha: I appeared for SPJIMR. The process included 2 group interviews and hence this was a major difference. Though I did not prepare much for group interviews as a separate thing, I still managed to get through due to my normal interview preparation.
Careers360: How did you go about the preparations for PI? Did you search or look up some questions or practice mock PIs?
Lakshya Jha: I divided my preparation into 4 segments namely:
1) HR – Including Introduction, Strengths-Weaknesses, Why MBA
2) Academics– College Subjects
3) GK Questions – Ongoing topics with a specific focus on Business news
4) Profile Questions - Revisiting past internships and researching more around them
I took Mock PIs from my coaching institute and took help from a couple of friends to frame the answer structure.
Careers360: And finally what are the aspects or qualities that the interview board looks for in a candidate?
Lakshya Jha: The interview panellist looks for the following qualities in the candidate:
Thought Process (Rationality)
Well balanced Individual (Diverse achievements)
How eager to learn is the individual (Humble and thirst for knowledge)
Get full details on CAT exam analysis for slot 1, slot 2, and ...
CAT 2022 Response Sheet - CAT conducting body will release the...
How to Calculate CAT Percentile 2022 - Get to know the method ...
CAT Result 2022 - IIM Bangalore will declare the CAT 2022 Resu...
Questions related to CAT
gjgvhj bobbo ikb oob o oh ik kb be i kbyfhvvigivjj vhogivig
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
how to start the quantitative aptitude preparation topics for CAT exam?
Although there are many online resources for CAT 2022 candidates, for many of them, preparing for the CAT mathematical ability part is one of the most tough and challenging undertakings. The QA part is regarded by the majority of elite CAT scorers as one of the most unexpected and time-consuming. And for candidates without an engineering-related educational background, learning how to prepare for the CAT quantity ability is like cracking a hard nut.
For every detailed information on how to prepare for cat quantitative aptitude section, you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you.
what is CAT exam? full information about it
The Common Admission Test is the full name of the exam. A prominent national MBA entrance exam is being taken. A computer-based test will be used to administer the CAT 2022 exam. A little over 2.3 lakh students are anticipated to sign up for the CAT 2022. At 20 IIMs and more than 1,000 B-Schools in India, CAT 2022 will be held for MBA and PGDM admissions.
For more information you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you