CAT Normalization Process 2022: Check Composite Score Formula
CAT Normalization Process 2022: IIM Bangalore will release CAT 2022 results on its official website in the second week of January 2023 probably. CAT 2022 normalization process will be followed for the calculation of the percentile of candidates. This process of score normalization is meant to ensure rationality and veracity in the performance of candidates in the CAT 2022 exam. This will ensure no candidates get undue benefits or face disadvantages for any reason.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
CAT Normalization Process 2022
The first normalization process of CAT will initially be applied to different forms, then the scores are further normalized across different sections. The normalization process has become a common trend and is widely used for almost all MBA entrance exams which are conducted in different slots/ shifts.
CAT Important Dates 2022
CAT is a national-level entrance exam. It is the one of largest MBA entrance exams. Around 2 lakh candidates registered for Common Admission Test every year. Candidates are advised to check exam dates of CAT 2022 which contain the CAT registration start date, last date for registration, CAT test date, CAT admit card, etc. Check the important CAT events and dates provided in the table below.
CAT 2022: Important dates
CAT 2022 application form start date
August 3, 2022
Last date for CAT 2022 registration
September 21, 2022
CAT Admit card 2022
October 27 - November 27, 2022
CAT 2022 exam date
November 27, 2022
|CAT answer key release date||December 1, 2022|
Declaration of CAT 2022 result
2nd Week of January 2023 (Tentative)
Quick Links -
- How to prepare for CAT
- CAT: When and how to start preparation?
- CAT Preparation- How to prepare for CAT without coaching
What is the CAT Normalization Process 2022?
The entrance exam of CAT 2022 has been conducted in a computer-based mode. To avoid any kind of discrimination, the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore will follow the process of normalization for CAT 2022 which will change scale differences of score distributions across different forms.
The normalization process of CAT 2022 will be followed as an established practice that will compare the scores of candidates across different/various forms. The main purpose of the CAT 2022 normalization process will be that none of the candidates from either of the slots/ shifts get undue advantages or face disadvantages.
The scaled scores will then be converted into the CAT percentile. The shortlisted candidates (on the basis of CAT percentile) will have to appear for the selection process of IIMs, which will include a Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD), and Personal Interview (PI) rounds.
Quick Links -
Calculation of CAT Scaled Scores
Complete details related to sectional scores as well as overall scaled scores will be mentioned in the result of CAT 2022. The below-mentioned steps will be followed by IIM Bangalore in CAT result 2022, to calculate the scaled score of each section. Let us look at an example of how the scaled score will be calculated for CAT 2022-
Step 1: First the mean & standard deviation (SD) will be calculated of the raw scores in the DILR section for all candidates who will appear in the morning shift
Let Mean = M1
Let SD = S1
Hence, G1 = M1 + S1
Step 2: Similarly, the mean and the standard deviation (SD) of the candidates who will appear in the afternoon shift will be calculated from the raw scores in the same DILR section for all candidates.
Let Mean = M2
Let SD = S2
Hence, G2 = M2 + S2
Step 3: Now, calculate the mean and the standard deviation (SD) of the raw scores in the DILR section for all candidates who will appear in both morning and afternoon shifts.
Let Mean be M
Standard Deviation be S
Therefore, G = M + S
Step 4: Calculate the mean raw score in the DILR section of the top 0.1% of candidates who will appear in the first-morning shift. Denote the same by 𝑀1 0.1
Step 5: Similarly, For the top 0.1% of candidates of the afternoon shift, calculate the mean raw score in the DILR section. Denote it by 𝑀2 0.1
Step 6: Now For the top 0.1% of candidates who will appear in CAT 2022 for both morning and afternoon shifts, calculate the mean raw score in the DILR section. Denote the same by 𝑀0.1.
A similar technique will be followed to calculate the scaled score of all three sections. i.e.
Total scaled score = Sum of scaled scores of DILR, VARC, QA.
Top Colleges in India offering MBA
How to Calculate CAT Percentile 2022?
IIM Bangalore will release the percentile calculation method of CAT 2022. The rank obtained by a candidate will be termed as CAT percentile 2022. On the basis of the scaled score, the percentile of CAT 2022 will be calculated. It is imperative for candidates to understand how their CAT percentile 2022 will be calculated and ranks will be allotted to them.
A higher rank will be provided to those candidates who score more marks in all sections. If two candidates will score similar marks in the VARC section, then in such case both of them will be given Rank 1. The CAT 2022 percentile score will be calculated on the basis of a defined formula. After the formula is implemented, there will be a need to round off the calculated percentile score (P) of a candidate up to two decimal points.
The following steps will be used with regard to the calculation of the CAT 2022 percentile. For example sake, the QA section is chosen to know how the CAT percentile is calculated and a similar process will be applicable to other sections.
Step 1: Calculate the total number of candidates (N) who appeared for CAT 2022 (i.e. including morning, afternoon, and evening sessions).
Step 2: Assign a rank (r), based on the scaled scores obtained in the QA section, to all candidates who appeared for CAT exam 2022. In the case of two or more candidates getting identical scaled scores in the QA section, then the same rank will be awarded to all those candidates.
As an example, suppose two candidates obtain the highest scaled score in the QA section, then both of those candidates are assigned a rank of 1. Moreover, the candidate(s) obtaining the second-highest scaled score in the QA section are assigned a rank of 3 and so on.
Step 3: Calculate the percentile score (P) of a candidate with rank (r) in the QA section as:
𝑃 = ( (𝑁−𝑟) 𝑁 ) × 100
Step 4: Round off the calculated percentile score (P) of a candidate up to two decimal points.
For example, all percentile scores greater than or equal to 99.995 are rounded off to 100, all percentile scores greater than or equal to 99.985 but strictly less than 99.995 are rounded off to 99.99, and so on.
The method that is mentioned above is used for the computation of the overall CAT percentile scores and for the percentile scores of other sections.
CAT Composite Score Calculation
CAT 2022 composite score for each student will be calculated based on scaled CAT Score, marks of 10th and 12th standard, graduation score, gender diversity, academic diversity, and work experience.
CAT Result 2022
IIM Bangalore will announce the result of CAT 2022 in 2nd week of January 2023 probably. CAT 2022 result will contain details related to the personal details of candidates, sectional scores obtained, percentile, as well as total, scaled score, and percentile.
Candidates who will qualify will be called upon to take part in the further admission process. CAT scores are accepted not only by the Indian Institute of Management but by various other top b-schools other than IIMs as well.
Quick Links -
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - CAT Normalization Process 2022: Check Composite Score Formula
Question: What is normalization in CAT?
CAT was conducted in three shifts and every shift has a different set of questions. There may be some differences in the difficulty level. The CAT Normalization process is used to adjust the candidate’s score for these differences.
Question: Why CAT scaled scored important?
CAT scaled score is used to compare a candidate’s performance with another candidate for the same and other shifts. It will help candidates and such institutes that accept CAT scores to get a fair assessment of candidate’s performance in CAT 2022.
Question: How are CAT scaled scores calculated?
IIMs calculate the mean and standard deviation of candidates Raw scores and then they apply a formula to calculate the scaled score.
Question: What all factors are taken into consideration in the CAT scaled score calculation?
Candidates must know that the raw scores of all candidates that appeared in CAT entrance test. Apart from that, CAT shifts will also matter to calculate the scaled score.
Question: Is there normalization in CAT exam? Why is normalization used in CAT?
Yes, there is normalisation process in CAT 2022. CAT Normalization process is used to ensure that no candidate gets advantage or disadvantage of appearing in different shifts.
Question: What is the formula for CAT normalization process?
CAT normalization process formula are as follows:
Raw Score= 3 x (No. of correct answer) - 1 x (No. of incorrect answer)
Question: Can marks be reduced after CAT normalization?
In terms of actual CAT score, the impact of CAT normalization process would lead to decrease in the marks of candidates who have secured high score in the exam. However, such candidates should not worry about their score because they have cleared the CAT exam.
Question: Is CAT score valid for 2 year?
No, CAT scorecard is valid for only one year.
Question: How is CAT score calculated?
R= Rank of the candidate on the basis of CAT scaled score or total number of candidates. For example, 1000 aspirants take CAT entrance test and bag the top rank which means a total of 999 candidates scored less than you. Then candidates percentile will be 999/1000*100= 99.9
Question: How is CAT score scaling done?
The CAT 2022 normalization process will be done by adjusting the location and scaled differences of CAT score distributions across the different shift CAT question paper. The CAT scaled scores will be converted into CAT percentiles.
Question: How is Normalisation done in CAT?
CAT normalization is done using the following formula:
Raw Score= 3 x (No. of correct answer) - 1 x (No. of incorrect answer)
Question: Is coaching necessary for CAT? Does accuracy matter in normalisation in CAT?
No, coaching is not compulsory for CAT preparation. CAT exam 2022 will be normalized which takes into consideration a score with higher accuracy and least time when there are two students with the same marks.
IIM will not release CAT exam syllabus 2023 for MBA admission....
CAT 2022 Response Sheet - CAT conducting body released the CAT...
CAT Percentile Predictor 2022 - Predict your CAT percentile by...
IIM CAP 2023 - Common Admission Process is a selection process...
Questions related to CAT
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
neetpg 2022 rank is 87k,st cat ,any possibility to get MD/MS seat in mp gov medical colg?
That's a too far rank...may be you could achieve seat in a private college...
To know rank college predictor, check out the link provided
And also stay updated through careers360.
Hope it helps .
Do we have any fees concessions in Mba by clearing exams like CAT, GMAT ETC
No. We don't get any fees concessions by clearing these entrance exams. Although if you have scored extremely well both in your entrance exams as well in your undergraduate, then you might get a scholarships from the universities. You can also apply for other outer scholarships that are given to the students that have good scores and talent.
Hi, what percentile an NC-OBC female candidate should aim in CAT 2022 to get into IIM Ahmedabad? My profile is : 95/97/83. And I am from Arts background.
See since you are from arts background, and you also have a good academic record (barring your graduation percentage), so you can get a call for interview even a slightly lower percentile.
According to the previous trends, you can easily get into IIM Ahmedabad even at a percentile in the range of 92 to 95, which is a safe estimate for your admission in the OBC NCL category.
Hope I have answered your question. All the best!