IIM Call Cutoff Vs IIM Eligibility Cutoff: Why there is huge gap?
IIM Call Cutoff Vs IIM Eligibility Cutoff - After releasing admission criteria by all the IIMs, you may feel optimistic about your chance to get selected or at least receive an interview call from your dream management institutes on the basis of CAT 2022 exam. But there is a difference between IIM Call Cutoff and Eligibility cutoff. Have you ever wondered why there are huge gaps between the two cutoffs of the IIMs.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
Ongoing MBA Admission 2022
Put on your thinking caps as Careers360 brings to you the factors behind the gaps that exist between the actual interview call and the official shortlist cutoff of CAT exam at IIMs. CAT 2022 will be held on November 27, 2022 following which the CAT result 2022 will be announced in January 2023.
The previous year, while MBA aspirants rejoiced in the fact that IIM Ahmedabad overall cutoff for General category candidates was 80 percentile and the sectional cutoffs are 70 percentile (Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, Verbal and Reading Comprehension) the reality was quite different. The interview cutoff for the General category candidates at IIM Ahmedabad will probably be much higher for 2023-25 batch.
What are IIM Eligibility Cutoff and IIM Call Cut-offs?
The IIM Eligibility Cutoff is the minimum CAT Cutoff score 2022, which a candidate needs to secure in CAT exam, in order to be eligible for the IIMs admission process. There is no official IIM call cutoff for CAT test-takers. Each IIMs that accept CAT 2022 score, announces their own CAT cutoffs. The individual cut-offs by IIMs consist of both sectional and overall cutoffs, which candidates need to satisfy to be eligible for further selection rounds of admission criteria.
Hence, the eligibility cutoffs for each IIMs are different and before applying for admissions candidates need to check the eligibility first. If a candidate falls under the eligibility cutoff range of an IIM, that does not mean they will get a call from that IIM.
Browse Top MBA Colleges Accepting CAT Score: Location-Wise
Why there are huge gaps?
The gap exists because the eligibility cutoff announced by an IIM is the minimum CAT percentile candidates are required to secure for getting into the list of candidates who can be considered for the next stage of the CAT selection process comprising WAT and PI.
The actual call cutoff, however, depends on the number of candidates available from the top. Thus for IIM Ahmedabad, which may call 600-1000 general category candidates (generally three times the seat capacity), it gets the desired numbers within 98 to 100 percentile. This is because, within the top 2 percentile, it may get as much as 4,000 candidates in a scenario where the number of test-takers is near 2 lakh.
Nishit Sinha, IIM Lucknow alumnus and author of MBA preparation books mentions in a related query posted in Quora, “For actual selection, IIMs look for top N students who have cleared the cut-off in different sections and overall. It is decided by percentile. In other words, Percentile indicates the All India Rank. For example - 99.5 percentile means top 0.5 percent of the total aspirants who have appeared.”
Thus, you must understand that the CAT cutoff 2022 percentile released by IIMs is the eligibility criteria or the minimum percentile a candidate has to secure in order to be eligible for getting shortlisted.
How do the number of test-takers and IIM intake influence cutoff?
A percentile is a measure indicating the value below which a given percentage of test-takers come under. For example, 90 percentile refers to the value below which 90% of the CAT exam takers would fall. Hence, test takers securing 90 percentile or above refers to the top 10% of the test takers. So, if the total number of actual test takers is near 2 lakh, approximately 20,000 candidates (1%) would come under the percentile range of 99 to 100.
IIMs, generally, shortlist three times the number of seats for the next level of the selection process. The total number of seats in 20 IIMs is around 4000, which means the total number of short-listed candidates would be 12,000. Out of this, the number of General category candidates to be shortlisted will be 50 per cent, which is near 6,000. Now, if we consider the case of IIM Ahmedabad, where the total number of seats is around 400, with around 200 general category seats, the number of shortlisted candidates in the general category would be around 600.
This means, being the top institute within the IIMs system, IIM-A could get the desired number of candidates within the range of 99.5 – 100 percentile. But since the candidate profile is also considered while shortlisting candidates, the shortlisting cutoff percentile finally settles in the range of 98 to 100 percentile. So, it is quite evident that the candidates to be finally shortlisted belong to the top percentile bracket of 98 to 100 and are not within the 90 percentile as mentioned in the IIM admission criteria.
For the top IIMs, which are popularly and collectively referred to as BLACKIS (B – Bangalore, L – Lucknow, A-Ahmedabad, C – Calcutta, K – Kozhikode, I – Indore, S – Shillong) by the MBA aspirants, the combined intake is around 2600, which is approximately half of the number of candidates falling within top three percentile brackets (97 to 100 percentile). So you can understand why the actual interview call cutoff of the top IIMs range from 97 to 100 percentile.
Top Colleges in India offering MBA
Academics and work experience - Other factors which influence shortlist cutoff
Top IIMs–BLACKIS, consider other factors like past academic records, work experience, academic and gender diversity, and overall candidate profile for making the final shortlist offer. They calculate a scaled score or percentile based on the above-mentioned factors. In order to equate the scores in all other parameters, IIMs may have to go down a couple of percentiles, say 97 percentile. The actual interview call cutoff is the culmination of these factors.
At the same time, securing above 99 percentile is not always a benchmark for appearing in IIM interview rounds as the composite score for shortlisting depends upon multiple factors. For the final selection also IIMs calculate the composite scores in terms of performance in CAT, WAT & PI, and candidate profile.
Get full details on CAT exam analysis for slot 1, slot 2, and ...
CAT 2022 Response Sheet - CAT conducting body will release the...
CAT Score Vs Percentile 2022 - What is CAT score Vs Percentile...
How to Calculate CAT Percentile 2022 - Get to know the method ...
Questions related to CAT
gjgvhj bobbo ikb oob o oh ik kb be i kbyfhvvigivjj vhogivig
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
how to start the quantitative aptitude preparation topics for CAT exam?
Although there are many online resources for CAT 2022 candidates, for many of them, preparing for the CAT mathematical ability part is one of the most tough and challenging undertakings. The QA part is regarded by the majority of elite CAT scorers as one of the most unexpected and time-consuming. And for candidates without an engineering-related educational background, learning how to prepare for the CAT quantity ability is like cracking a hard nut.
For every detailed information on how to prepare for cat quantitative aptitude section, you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you.
what is CAT exam? full information about it
The Common Admission Test is the full name of the exam. A prominent national MBA entrance exam is being taken. A computer-based test will be used to administer the CAT 2022 exam. A little over 2.3 lakh students are anticipated to sign up for the CAT 2022. At 20 IIMs and more than 1,000 B-Schools in India, CAT 2022 will be held for MBA and PGDM admissions.
For more information you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you