How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds?
How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds? - Deciding to move onto a mountain even after knowing that it will be laborious is challenging. Similarly cracking CAT and moving onto the next selection stages is onerous. All candidates who clear CAT successfully aim for IIM A, IIM B, or IIM C as their first preference. But not everyone can crack the PI WAT rounds of these A, B, C IIMs. Hence, in this article of How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds? Careers360 brings to the future aspirants the tips and tricks on how to crack PI WAT rounds. Along with that link of interview experience of selected candidates in IIM Calcutta is also provided for detailed information. CAT is a national level exam and for the year 2020 was conducted by IIM Indore. Since CAT 2020 is around the corner, hence it is imperative for candidates to be prepared for further stages of admission.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
Ongoing MBA Admission 2022
|Great Lakes Institute of Management admission 2022||Apply Online|
|IMT Ghaziabad admission 2022||Apply Online|
|SPJIMR 2022 admissions||Apply Online|
|BIMTECH admission 2022||Apply Online|
|LBSIM 2022 admission||Apply Online|
Exam Dates of CAT 2020
All candidates who will be appearing in the IIM admission criteria 2021-2023, must be aware of the CAT 2020 exam dates. Details pertaining to exam, result, cutoff, the start of selection are all provided under the exam dates of CAT 2020. The table below updated accordingly.
CAT Exam Dates 2020
November 29, 2020 (Sunday)
Declaration of Result 2020
Second week of January, 2021
Commencement of Counselling
After the announcement of IIM admission criteria shortlist, selected candidates put emphasis on revamping their communication and soft skill abilities. Before moving straight onto how to crack PI WAT rounds, let us first look at the IIM Calcutta’s selection procedure. IIM Calcutta keeps it simple in terms of its selection procedure.
Selection on the basis of CAT 2020 exam scores
Shortlisting for PI WAT rounds
Final merit list declaration
Let us look at each step one by one
In order to be a part of PI WAT rounds of IIM Calcutta or any other IIM, candidates need to clear CAT 2020 with a good score. For the year 2020, IIM Indore has conducted the CAT 2020 exam on November 29.
Shortlisting for PI WAT Rounds
On successfully clearing CAT 2020, candidates will be called upon as per IIM Calcutta Admission Criteria. Usually, IIM Calcutta conducts a Writing Ability Test (WAT) followed by a Personal Interview (PI). However, last year due to COVID 19 pandemic, WAT component was scraped off from the final selection criteria.
Declaration of Merit List
As per topper Palash Godbole who made it to IIM Calcutta, Apart from WAT-PI and CAT, candidate’s final selection in IIM Calcutta is based upon their performance in work experience and academic diversity as well.
Weightage Given By IIM Calcutta
CAT 2020 Score
Personal Interview (PI)
Written Ability Test (WAT)
IIM Calcutta Admission Criteria 2021-23 (Expected)
Coaching or Self Study - How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds?
Let us look at what some previous year CAT 2019 toppers who made it to IIM Calcutta have to say on coaching or self study for cracking PI WAT rounds.
Palash Godbole who started his preparation in mid-December for PI WAT rounds says that he had enrolled himself with a coaching institute for mock PI and WAT practice and also took help from his seniors and friends.
For Writing Ability Test (WAT), he followed some online forums wherein essays on various topics were given. He used to write down an essay on any one topic on a daily basis. For him, writing the essay should be divided into three parts and personal ideas should be in sync with the given topic -
Introduction of the given topics
Pros, cons, illustrations of the given topic along with a little introduction
For Personal Interview, the focus should be on five areas namely -
Extra-curricular as well as co-curricular activities
Note that for PI, attending mock Personal Interviews are of utmost importance. Candidates must try to analyze the interviewer’s feedback and rectify the mistakes.
Madhuporna Pal Who Made it to IIM-C, says that she attended the mock GD sessions, practised WAT regularly since December. She also took mock interview sessions and utilized the feedback in improving herself. Madhuporna Pal thinks that it is important to introspect yourself and build your own unique strategy in order to excel in PI round of IIM Calcutta.
CAT 2019 Topper Sanjana Rout, says that talking to people/seniors with similar interests is beneficial to crack the Personal Interviews. She attended some briefing sessions at TIME and IMS. Also took part in mock personal interviews to know where she was going wrong and corrected the same by working on the weaknesses.
How to Handle a Situation if you don’t Know the Answer? - How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds
As per the IIM Calcutta students, in a situation where one does not know the answer to any specific question or given topic, it is better not to bluff and admit it honestly rather than playing. Remember that the interviewers are very experienced in their job and can easily analyze your answer. However, if you have a little knowledge then you can make an educated guess and not a random one. In case of no knowledge, clearly say you do not know.
Do’s and Don'ts - How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds?
Candidates who will appear in IIM Calcutta’s PI WAT rounds can check the major dos and don’ts they need to follow if they get shortlisted -
What to do in PI WAT Rounds?
Structure time distribution beforehand i.e. at least 3 paragraphs: introduction, body and conclusion
Maintain legible and neat handwriting
Add some examples or illustrations
Finish 2 minutes in advance to proofread your essay before submitting and avoid grammatical errors
Give exact data and mention its source
What to do in PI WAT Rounds?
Do not exceed the word count/limit
Avoid writing hastily (Without structuring in advance)
Avoid experiences/writing stories
Do not submit before proofreading your content
Interviewer Panel - How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds
As per most of the students who appeared in PI WAT rounds, the panel who takes the interview is friendly. People usually have this misconception that interviews at IIMs are about Q&A sessions. However, in reality, panellists want to have one on one conversation and want to know candidates. The interviewers at IIM Calcutta will keep the interviewees on their toes. The panel usually has 2-3 members who are polite and allow candidates to think and answer.
Quick Links -
Fascinating Questions - How IIM Calcutta Students Cracked PI WAT Rounds
Topper Sanjana Rout says that she was asked a question which she never anticipated. The question that was asked by IIM Calcutta panel was “If you could be any item in a kitchen, what would you like to be?” As compared to other B-Schools, IIMs put more emphasis on academics and try to get to know students better.
Palash Godbole who appeared in IIM Calcutta’s personal interview in online mode has only two interviewers in the panel. For him, the panel was very amicable and raised questions related to hackathon idea, academic background. The panel at IIM Calcutta was ready to listen to the answers in a steady manner.
“I was asked to defend the stance of Mata Sita for wanting the GOLDEN deer (golden is the keyword here) in Ramayana,” says Madhuporna Pal who will join IIM Calcutta this year.
IIM will not release CAT exam syllabus 2023 for MBA admission....
CAT 2022 Response Sheet - CAT conducting body released the CAT...
CAT Percentile Predictor 2022 - Predict your CAT percentile by...
IIM CAP 2023 - Common Admission Process is a selection process...
Questions related to CAT
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
neetpg 2022 rank is 87k,st cat ,any possibility to get MD/MS seat in mp gov medical colg?
That's a too far rank...may be you could achieve seat in a private college...
To know rank college predictor, check out the link provided
And also stay updated through careers360.
Hope it helps .
Do we have any fees concessions in Mba by clearing exams like CAT, GMAT ETC
No. We don't get any fees concessions by clearing these entrance exams. Although if you have scored extremely well both in your entrance exams as well in your undergraduate, then you might get a scholarships from the universities. You can also apply for other outer scholarships that are given to the students that have good scores and talent.
Hi, what percentile an NC-OBC female candidate should aim in CAT 2022 to get into IIM Ahmedabad? My profile is : 95/97/83. And I am from Arts background.
See since you are from arts background, and you also have a good academic record (barring your graduation percentage), so you can get a call for interview even a slightly lower percentile.
According to the previous trends, you can easily get into IIM Ahmedabad even at a percentile in the range of 92 to 95, which is a safe estimate for your admission in the OBC NCL category.
Hope I have answered your question. All the best!