One-Year MBA vs Two-Year MBA
One-Year vs Two-Year MBA - MBA aspirants, who have a couple of years work experience are often under the dilemma whether to pursue Executive MBA or two year regular MBA. There are various factors based on which you should take the final decision.
Over the past decade, one year MBA have become popular. Those candidates who have more than 2 years of experience and their career is already is good place, then in such case an MBA degree can add or polish their skills to do much better in corporate sector. One year MBA is good for those who have very clear mind on their careers path. Apart from that, those candidates who are looking to join family business and need a quick degree are also best suited for one year MBA.
However, those candidates who have just completed their graduation and have doubts related to their career then they must go for two year MBA program. The two year MBA program offers extensive theoretical and practical knowledge to students.
Ongoing MBA Admission
Difference between one year MBA vs two year MBA
One year MBA program is an intense experience, where all the learning activities are packed in 10 to 12 months time frame. On the other hand two year MBA program allows candidates to explore MBA career path through internships and other campus activities. Check out the following table to know the major difference between one year and two year MBA program.
Since the one-year MBA program is intense and fast-paced, this is suited for those who have a strong quantitative background.
Candidates from diverse background can go for two-year MBA program.
Two to five years of experience need to pursue one year MBA program.
The average work experience to pursue a two-year MBA program is four to two to three years. It also varies form college to college.
Browse Top MBA Colleges Accepting CAT Score: Location-Wise
All about one year MBA vs two year MBA
1. Work Experience: The two year MBA programs do not require the applicants to have work experience and the selection process is primarily based on their academic and test scores. The one year programmes, on the other hand, need applicants to have a minimum of two to three years’ work experience and the MBA selection process takes into account the overall profile of the candidates, including the quality of work experience, demonstrated track record and future potential.
2. Curriculum and Learning Experience: The shorter duration of the One year MBA means that it is more challenging with candidates having to handle a lot more in lesser time. This is where having prior work experience helps since having a basic understanding of organisations and professional work environments helps participants start at a higher base compared to freshers who have to start from the scratch. The programmes are designed accordingly keeping this work experience in mind and fully leveraging it.
A two-year MBA, on the other hand, offers fresh graduates sufficient time to develop a thorough understanding of the business world along with a summer internship of two months to get the students acquainted with what comes next. So for the students who are fresh out of college, a two-year MBA prepares them for the corporate world.
3. Peer Group: A class of One year MBA programmes typically comprises of professionals coming with experience in diverse industries and roles. This significantly enhances the quality of learning experience within and beyond the classrooms since people can relate the business concepts with their personal real life experience. Similarly, it provides a great opportunity for creating a network of friends, acquaintances and allies across industries.
4. ROI & Opportunity Cost: For experienced professionals, the one year PG programme offers a higher return on their investment as they have a significantly lower opportunity cost in term of being away from work for just half the time of the two year programs. For a lot of people this is extremely important not just from a career perspective but also for personal reasons where a commitment of being away in school for two years is simply not feasible.
Read more :
- Online MBA vs Regular MBA: Which One to Choose?
- One year MBA in India: Admissions, Eligibility, Colleges, Courses, Fees
- Top 1-Year Online MBA Programs to Pursue
5. Career Objectives: The choice of your decision also depends upon your career goals. For example, if you are looking for a significant change in your line of work or want to switch your industry, a two-year MBA with a summer internship may offer a better chance. Also, some industries and companies still prefer to recruit young graduates through their management trainee programmes and after evaluating candidates in their summer internship programs. On the other hand, if you love the field that you are in and want to fast track your career in the shortest possible time, then a one-year MBA makes more sense.
In terms of job opportunities and employment outcomes, the two types of MBA programmes don’t have any difference whatsoever. The major criterion for choosing one over another is just the relevant experience possessed by the aspirant. The two-year traditional MBA is more popular with the students who have lesser work experience due to the internship offered at the end of its first year and with the people who are planning to significantly change their industry and functional area.
The one-year PG programme, however, is more suitable for professionals who possess significant work experience and are looking for an accelerated growth in their career.
Top Colleges in India offering MBA
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - One-Year MBA vs Two-Year MBA
Question: Can I do MBA in one year?
Yes, there is one year MBA course. Many universities and institutes have designed this extensive course and offering to eligible candidates.
Question: What are the top five highest paying MBA jobs?
The top five highest-paying MBA jobs are.
- Financial Manager
- Investment Banker
- Information Technology (IT) Director
- Chief Technology Officer
- Investment Bank Manager
Question: Why is MBA so expensive?
It depends on where a candidate is pursuing MBA. If a candidate is pursuing MBA from IIMs then they have to pay hefty fees and there are B-schools that offer MBAs at low costs.
Question: Why is MBA better than masters?
MBA given better career flexibility, business ownership, management roles, practical and theoretical knowledge, and on the other masters gives degree and theoretical knowledge.
Question: What is the salary after MBA?
Check out the top MBA profiles and their salary.
|Job profile||Minimum salary per annum||Average salary per annum|
|Regional Sales Manager||Rs 5.50 lakh||Rs 11.80 lakh|
|Financial Analyst||Rs 2.23 lakh||Rs 4.30 lakh|
|Account Manager||Rs 3.30 lakh||Rs 7.00 lakh|
|Finance Manager||Rs 5.20 lakh||Rs 11.40 lakh|
Question: What can I do instead of MBA?
Instead of MBA, candidates can pursue MSc in various specializations such as.
Question: Why IIMs are so costly
Unlike IITs, IIMs do not receive any type of funding from the state or central government.
Question: Is CAT score card is valid for 2 years?
No, CAT score card is valid for one year only.
Question: Is GMAT accepted in IIM?
A total of 7 IIMs including Ahmedabad, Calcutta, and Bangalore accepts GMAT scorecard.
Question: Which is the easiest stream in MBA?
As per MBA graduates, MBA in Finance and Banking is quiet easier than other MBA specializations.
Question: How fast one can complete MBA?
Minimum duration of one year is needed to complete MBA.
Question: In which country MBA in one year?
INSEAD conducts one year MBA program at its campuses i.e. Paris, Fontainebleau, and in Singapore.
CAT 2022 Response Sheet - CAT conducting body released the CAT...
CAT Percentile Predictor 2022 - Predict your CAT percentile by...
IIM CAP 2023 - Common Admission Process is a selection process...
IIM Admission Criteria 2023-2025: Check the admission criteria...
Questions related to CAT
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
neetpg 2022 rank is 87k,st cat ,any possibility to get MD/MS seat in mp gov medical colg?
That's a too far rank...may be you could achieve seat in a private college...
To know rank college predictor, check out the link provided
And also stay updated through careers360.
Hope it helps .
Do we have any fees concessions in Mba by clearing exams like CAT, GMAT ETC
No. We don't get any fees concessions by clearing these entrance exams. Although if you have scored extremely well both in your entrance exams as well in your undergraduate, then you might get a scholarships from the universities. You can also apply for other outer scholarships that are given to the students that have good scores and talent.
Hi, what percentile an NC-OBC female candidate should aim in CAT 2022 to get into IIM Ahmedabad? My profile is : 95/97/83. And I am from Arts background.
See since you are from arts background, and you also have a good academic record (barring your graduation percentage), so you can get a call for interview even a slightly lower percentile.
According to the previous trends, you can easily get into IIM Ahmedabad even at a percentile in the range of 92 to 95, which is a safe estimate for your admission in the OBC NCL category.
Hope I have answered your question. All the best!