Difference between PGDM and MBA?
Difference between PGDM and MBA? - Completed your Bachelor’s and wondering which course to pursue career growth? Well whenever someone thinks about postgraduation, MBA pops up in their mind. Ok great, taking admission in MBA? Wait! We have PGDM as well. But what is the difference between PGDM and MBA? Candidates in India aspire to get a post-graduate degree in order to uplift their chances of a better job prospect.
While most candidates think both are similar and are unaware of the difference between PGDM and MBA degree. It is important for candidates to know the difference between PGDM course and MBA before they plan to pursue either of them. In this article, Careers360 brings to you the major difference between PDGM and MBA, be it in terms of fees, focus, the entrance exams to be qualified. Along with that, we will also discuss the famous colleges that provide PGDM and MBA. No doubt about the fact that pursuing PGDM and MBA admissions both will bag great career growth, a better position as well as salary.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
Difference between PGDM and MBA degree
Basis of Difference
Post Graduate Diploma in Management
MBA Curriculum is unchanged and unaltered by affiliated colleges. Only universities can make changes
The curriculum of PGDM is more flexible as autonomous institutes can make elementary changes to make it more effective
Theoretical business and managerial knowledge, case studies and hypothesis
A practical approach to business areas, industry-oriented
More expensive as compared to MBA
Duration of Course
One year to 2.5 years
MBA candidates is given more weightage
PGDM candidates have only a diploma and not a degree
MBA degrees are granted by Universities and have lower chances of fraud claims
Since autonomous bodies offer PGDM, candidates are always careful in selecting institutes
Let us look at each difference carefully to understand the difference between PGDM and MBA in a better format:
What is PGDM?
With the rise of positions of managerial level, most of the candidates are attracted towards pursuing postgraduate in management studies. Post Graduate Diploma in Management or simply PGDM is a diploma study course at the postgraduate level. PGDM is offered by those institutes which are approved by AICTE i.e. All India Council for Technical Education, the institutes which are autonomous and are not affiliated to any Indian University. However, PGDM degree is considered equivalent to MBA due to the institute’s accreditation by the Association of Indian Universities i.e AIU.
What is MBA?
Since years having an MBA in your academic qualification is definitely an add on. For those of you who are unaware of what an MBA is, MBA is the abridged form of Master in Business Administration. MBA is a postgraduate degree (not diploma) and is offered by Universities and colleges/institutes affiliated to Universities. Note that only Universities can grant an MBA degree. To take admission in IIMs, candidates have to qualify Common Admission Test.
Difference between PGDM and MBA degree on the Basis of Curriculum
Discussing the syllabus of both, PGDM and MBA can also be differentiated on the basis of the curriculum as well. MBA syllabus can be similar throughout the years, for the simple reason that Universities provide the MBA syllabus. Affiliated MBA colleges do not have any authority to make changes in the syllabus. Hence, the curriculum of MBA degree is not frequently revised and colleges can not introduce any such changes without the consent of that particular University.
Whereas, for the PGDM syllabus, as PGDM is offered by autonomous bodies, hence to make changes in the PGDM syllabus is easy and institutes can introduce elementary changes more frequently. Hence, we may say that the PDGM diploma curriculum is more up-to-date as compared to the MBA degree curriculum. However, Universities are trying to bring changes and will soon upgrade to the annual revision of the curriculum.
Also read; CAT 2022 Sample Paper
Difference between PGDM course and MBA on the Basis of Focus
MBA being a traditional degree course have its importance and thus focuses on giving theoretical knowledge of business aspects to candidates. Whereas, PGDM being a new trend aims to provide practical and industry-oriented knowledge to candidates. Both have equal importance as some say, what will you do in the practical world if you do not have clarity of theoretical concepts? While others say, which theories will you apply if you do not know how to survive in the real business world? Thoughtful though! Nowadays Universities and other autonomous institutes are changing their perspective and trying to focus on both theoretical as well as practical approaches while proving knowledge to candidates.
PGDM and MBA which is better on the basis of fees
In terms of affordability of both courses, an MBA degree is economical as compared to PGDM. The course is cheaper with government aids and funds being as a backup in an MBA course, whereas the PGDM course is administered by independent, autonomous institutions, hence the fees of PGDM is more.
Top Colleges in India offering Management Courses
Difference between PGDM and MBA on the Basis of Duration of Course
MBA degree courses are generally for a period of two years which is divided into four major semesters. Whereas a PGDM diploma course duration could be from one year to 2.5 years depending upon the autonomous institute’s choice. Both PGDM and MBA courses have summer as well as winter internships included in the course. MBA can be full time, Part-time MBA or online MBA as well. Nowadays for working professionals, executive MBA and PGDM
Difference between PGDM and MBA on the Basis of Effectiveness
Although PGDM is more in trend as compared to MBA degree courses, yet the importance of MBA degree can not be neglected. MBA degree is considered by many organizations over PGDM degree. However, due to change in scenario, both PGDM and MBA courses are considered of equal effectiveness. Both PGDM and MBA courses are accepted programme with great employability ratios if pursued from top b-schools like Indian Institute of Management and other top B-Schools other than IIMs. Picking the right b-school for this programme is very important in order to boost your career opportunities. There are various organisations that recruit skilled managers every year. Fresh graduates can apply for various jobs after pursuing this course.
Difference between PGDM and MBA on the Basis of Forgery
Since the MBA degree course provides University level degree and the colleges offering it gives University degree hence MBA degree is less likely to be fraudulent. The chances of fraud claims of fake PGDM MBA course degree are less registered. Whereas PGDM diploma courses are offered by autonomous bodies which automatically increases the chances of it being fake. However, not always a PGDM diploma course is fraudulent. Yet, candidates are more careful while selecting a college for PGDM course.
Top institutes offering PGDM:
Top institutes offering MBA:
Browse Top MBA Colleges Accepting CAT Score: Location-Wise
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) - Difference between PGDM and MBA?
Question: Which one is more valuable MBA or PGDM?
The value of MBA and PGDM is determined on the basis of few factors, cush as the quality, of course, pedagogy, and rank of the particular institute.
Question: Do IIMs offer PGDM or MBA?
IIMs offers Post Graduate Programme (PGP) or Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM).
Question: Which are the top colleges offering PGDM?
Some of the top colleges offering the PGDM programmes are XLRI Jamshedpur, MDI Gurgaon, SPJIMR Mumbai and many more.
Question: Which course is more affordable MBA or PGDM?
MBA is more affordable than the PGDM program. MBA programmes are also offered by Government and public universities.
Question: Is PGDM equivalent to MBA?
PGDM is a diploma course whereas MBA is a degree program.
Get full details on CAT exam analysis for slot 1, slot 2, and ...
CAT 2022 Response Sheet - CAT conducting body will release the...
CAT Score Vs Percentile 2022 - What is CAT score Vs Percentile...
How to Calculate CAT Percentile 2022 - Get to know the method ...
Questions related to CAT
gjgvhj bobbo ikb oob o oh ik kb be i kbyfhvvigivjj vhogivig
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
how to start the quantitative aptitude preparation topics for CAT exam?
Although there are many online resources for CAT 2022 candidates, for many of them, preparing for the CAT mathematical ability part is one of the most tough and challenging undertakings. The QA part is regarded by the majority of elite CAT scorers as one of the most unexpected and time-consuming. And for candidates without an engineering-related educational background, learning how to prepare for the CAT quantity ability is like cracking a hard nut.
For every detailed information on how to prepare for cat quantitative aptitude section, you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you.
what is CAT exam? full information about it
The Common Admission Test is the full name of the exam. A prominent national MBA entrance exam is being taken. A computer-based test will be used to administer the CAT 2022 exam. A little over 2.3 lakh students are anticipated to sign up for the CAT 2022. At 20 IIMs and more than 1,000 B-Schools in India, CAT 2022 will be held for MBA and PGDM admissions.
For more information you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you