IFMR Graduate School of Business Campus Life - Interview with MBA student Manali Padale
Going to a B-school is not less than achieving a milestone in life, which you join to realize your career goals and develop core management skills needed to become a business leader. A campus of the B-school plays a vital role in providing an ideal environment for career development and personal well-being. IFMR Graduate School of Business (IFMR GSB) is committed to giving its students a unique MBA experience and a personalized environment on campus with their peers and professors. To know all about the campus life at IFMR GSB, Careers360 spoke to Manali Padale, a second-year MBA student in IFMR GSB about her experience at the said institution.
Careers360: Tell us something about yourself.
Manali Padale: I am from Mumbai and here I am a second year student of MBA in Marketing.
Careers360: Did you face any difficulty in the initial months when you joined the institute?
Manali Padale: No, the on-boarding process was very smooth.
Careers360: What activities are offered in the institute? Are there any clubs etc. for the various extracurricular activities? Which ones have you taken up and are a part of?
Manali Padale: Our institute has 23 different clubs and committees for various extracurricular activities. Each student can be a part of both, a club and committee or just either.
I am the student head of the Admissions Committee and a part of the Speakers Club as well.
Careers360: Describe a typical day at your institute.
Manali Padale: A typical day at my institute starts at 9 am since the first lecture is at 9:30 am. Between lectures, we get a break of half an hour when I grab a coffee and biscuits at the coffee shop situated in the Academic building. After attending another lecture, we walk over to the mess for a lunch break that lasts for an hour. Thereafter, I head back to the academic building for the next set of lectures and as soon as I am done with classes, I head over to the tapri outside the college to eat some Maggi and drink lemon juice. I then head back to my room to squeeze in some sleep until dinner time.
After dinner, I come back to my room and study or work on assignments. At 11 pm, I head to the student lounge to play table tennis/snooker with my friends and later, hang out with them until curfew time, which is 1 am. For an hour after getting back to my room, my roommate and I discuss the day and maybe some assignments and I go to sleep at 4 am, until when I’m mostly studying.
Careers360: Tell us about the faculty-student ratio here and about the teacher-student relationship in your understanding.
Manali Padale: The teacher-student relation is 12:1, which is quite conducive. All our professors are very helpful and supportive in terms of clearing queries. They always try to make a session interactive and insightful to make us rethink the business world.
Our college has also invested in a mentor program, which helps smaller groups of students share their problems and doubts with an assigned mentor throughout the academic session.
Careers360: What all facilities do you have on campus? What do you like here the most which you feel is unique and differentiating?
Manali Padale: Our campus has a football turf, a football ground, cricket nets, basketball court, indoor badminton court, volleyball court, cricket ground, snack vending machine, salon, medical centre, student lounge with indoor games like table tennis, foosball, snooker; fitness studio, ATM, convenience store and a laundromat.
I think the fact that our campus has 40-acres of land which is used by all the facilities mentioned above makes it unique.
Careers360: How comfortable are your hostels and how about the cleanliness factor over there?
Manali Padale: The hostel rooms are air-conditioned, spacious, twin-sharing with an attached bathroom. Each floor has water dispensers, a common air-conditioned room with a refrigerator, microwave and TV. Cleanliness is thoroughly maintained by housekeeping on a regular basis.
Careers360: What about the medical facilities? Can you avail requisite medical attention if needed in an emergency?
Manali Padale: Our campus has a medical centre with 24x7 nurses on duty allied with an ambulance.
Careers360: How do you balance your studies, projects, exams and other activities?
Manali Padale: I think the trick lies in time management. You are always busy while on campus but it depends on what your priorities are and how to allot time for these priorities.
Careers360: Tell us about the clubs and societies at the campus and how significant are they from your point of view or students’ point of view?
Manali Padale: Given that there are 23 clubs and committees in our institute, they are extremely significant as they help you grow as an individual and teach you how to lead a team, work in a team, multitask, and also gives a lot of exposure.
Careers360: Is there any in-house magazine or journal for the latest events or happenings at the institute?
Manali Padale: Our institute has our very own in-house magazine called Krea Communiqué for the latest events and happenings at the institute.
Careers360: What are the popular hangouts at the institute? What, according to you, are the most-visited places nearby?
Manali Padale: Given that we have a huge campus, there aren’t any popular hangout places at the institute but the Student Lounge is always filled with people either eating from the cafe, working on an assignment or just playing any indoor sport.
Careers360: How do you spend your leisure time at the campus?
Manali Padale: I prefer to play table tennis, badminton and walk around the campus with my fellow mates for leisure time while at the campus.
Careers360: Do you have any Facebook page of your campus where the students express their views, jokes or ideas, or maybe even a blog where they write about their experience of life on campus?
Manali Padale: We have an Instagram page where students share their thoughts, jokes and ideas about the campus via memes.
Careers360: What type of companies come for campus recruitment and what percentage of students get placed every year? How is the recruitment process here?
Manali Padale: We have companies of all domains visiting our campus each year for the summer internship and final placement. Finance related profiles receive major participation. Some of the key recruiters include Deloitte, HSBC, Accenture, KPMG and more.
The recruitment process is quite smooth from the very first briefing till the final placement. A better picture of the percentage of students who get placed every year gets updated every year on our college’s official website.
IFMR GSB Sri City Updates and Articles
IFMR GSB Alumni Interview - He says his learnings at IFMR GSB ...
Careers360 interacted with Prof. Shobha Das, Dean, IFMR Gradua...
Check details of IFMR Graduate School of Business placements, ...
NIRF MBA 2020 Ranking: NIRF Management Ranking In Andhra Prade...
Questions related to IFMR GSB Sri City
Which College should I prefer amongst Christ Bangalore, Nirma Ahmedabad, Bimtech Noida, Welingkar Mumbai, Amrita Coimbatore, IFMR Chennai for MBA?
In order to make an informed decision about which college to choose for your final joining, you must analyse various parameters of a B-School to decide the one which matches with your final goals. At the end of your MBA, your goal could be entrepreneurship, higher education, job opportunities, greater exposure, increased market value or something very different. Basis the end result, please choose the college wisely.
For higher education, you should choose a college with good faculty and academic exposure, for career opportunities - choose a college with good placement records, for exposure and networking - choose a one with greater alumni base and so on.
For the colleges mentioned, I am highlighting the key parameters and the differences between the colleges. Accordingly, please review and make a choice:
Christ University Bangalore
- Course: MBA two year full time program offering PG Degree
- Fees: INR 7.9 Lakhs approx.
- Infrastructure: The infrastructure of the college is very nice and it gives a candidate the exposure to campus life. They have good facilities for library, laboratories, study centers etc. for holding discussions and learning from peers. They also offer in campus hostel facilities with different buildings for male and female.
- Faculty & Academics: The curriculum is very robust and helps in peer learning. The teaching pedagogy involves class room discussions on the case studies allotted and the faculty are well experienced and trained. A lot of faculty even have great industry exposure. The teaching methodology makes the candidate ready for professional life.
- Placements: It offers good placement to students in good companies. The average package is 7LPA while the highest is 13.12LPA. The top recruiters are Deloitte, EY, KPMG, TCS, Goldman Sachs, Cerner, Deutsche Bank, Amazon.
- Specialisations Offered: The college offer specialisations in Finance, operations, HR, strategy, marketing and Business Analytics along with a General MBA program
- Accreditations: NAAC 'A' Grade
- Recognitions: AICTE approved
The infrastructure, faculty, academics and specialisations are similar to Christ in other B-Schools also. In the other institutes i will only highlight points of differences
- Course: MBA two year full time program and MBA HRM
- Fees: INR 10 Lakhs approx.
- Scholarships: Merit and Merit cum means scholarships available
- Faculty & Academics: The core faculty are all Ph.D holders with very high level of experience and exposure in the industry.
- Placements: The average package is 8.70 LPA while the highest is 19.1 LPA. The top recruiters are Axis Bank, Infosys, Cognizant, Wipro, ADANI, ICIC Bank, Novartis, Coffee Day, Crisil, Hitachi, HDFC Life, Zomato and many more.
- Specialisations Offered: The college offer specialisations in General MBA and HR. The student can choose from a host of electives.
- Accreditations: NAAC 'A' Grade
- Entrepreneurship: A lot of alumni have successfully started companies and are running well like Winjit Solutions, x-plora designs, Odd Routes etc. Hence this is a good place if you want to build your network too.
- Notable Alumni: EVP& Business Head of Kotak Mahindra Bank, CRO in Radio Mirchi, VP Corporate Broking & SME - ICICI Lombard etc.
- 13 th among Private MBA colleges in India by Outlook in 2020
- 2 nd best college in Gujarat in 2020 by Times
- 2 nd among best colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by NIRF
- 3 rd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by The Week
- 3 rd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by ET Times
- 3 rd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by Business Today
- 2 nd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2017 by Business Today
Bimtech Noida :
- Course: PGDM, PGDM International Business, PGDM IBM, PGDM Retail
- Fees: INR 9-14 Lakhs approx.
- Placements: The average package is 8.08 LPA while the highest is 18 LPA. The top recruiters are Amazon, Mindtree, ADP Inc., Wipro Technologies, Infosys, KPMG, Mazars, Oxane Partner, CGI Inc., IDFC First Bank, Acuity Knowledge Partners, ICICI Bank, TCS, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Wipro Digital, Wipro Consumer Care and Lightings, HDFC Bank, Panasonic, Exponential, ABFRL, Go Digit, Coforge, , HDFC Ltd., Bajaj Allianz General Insurance, SBI General Insurance Co., Ultra Tech Cement Ltd., Cians Analytics, Hevo Data, Howden India, ICRA Ltd., HCL Technologies Ltd., Reliance Retail, Total IT Global, ISGEC Heavy Engineering, Tech Mahindra and many more among others.
- Accreditations: NAAC 'A' Grade and NBA
- Notable Alumni: Co-Founder Purple Sketch Digital, Director Zeco Aircon, Deputy Manager Honda Cars etc.
- 6th among Private B Schools by NHRDN-Shine.com (//NHRDN-Shine.com)
- 10th among private B Schools by MBA Universe.com (//Universe.com)
- 47th MHRD's NIRF rankings
- Course: PGDM
- Fees: INR 11-15 Lakhs approx.
- Placements: The average package is 11 LPA while the highest is 22 LPA. The top recruiters are Bloomberg, Deloitte, EY, Citibank, CRISIL, ICIC Bank, HCL etc.
- Course: MBA
- Fees: INR 13 Lakhs approx.
- Placements: The average package is 5.37 LPA while the highest is 28.4 LPA. The top recruiters are Axis BAnk, Aditya Birla, Bajaj Capital, BNP PAribas, Birla sun Life, Citibank, Colgate Palmolive, Future Group etc.
I scored 209 in NMAT EXAM ON 3RD FEB 2021 , should I fill KJ OR IFMR INSTITUTES FORM?
As per the trends of previous year the cuoff for both these colleges are around 200-220 as per the level of the paper but as you know the cut off depends upon the number of seats available, the difficulty level of paper and number of candidates writing the examination hence it varies every year depending on these factors. The K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research is an autonomous business school located in Mumbai. It was established in 1981.
IFMR - Graduate School of Business a private business school located Andhra Pradesh.College offers admission to the two-year full-time Master in Business Administration.
For more information you can visit the following link:
which is best among IFIM and IFMR for pgdm finance
Both the colleges are good. But Institute of Financial Management and Research , Chennai (IFMR ) is much better and more ahead from Institute of Finance and International Management in terms of faculty, Placement, profile offered and others too. IFMR also has smaller size batches as compared to IFIM. According to 2018 batches , placement was 8.3 lakhs per annum of IFMR and 7.43 lakhs per annum of IFIM. According to PGDM Finance also the college is good and student get good jobs.
I hope your question has been answered properly!
All the best for your future!
I scored 84 percentile in CMAT 2020 exam and have 2 years of work experience and first division in both X and XII also secured 79 percent marks in graduation. So can I expect to get a call from IFMR?
IFMR is the private college which is located 70km away from Chennai. It is a good college for pursuing.
You have scored good and there is a chance for call from IFMR . You also have a work experience which is plus for you
Here is the link by which you can predict your college through CMAT score:-
I hope this helps.
how is IFMR college ( Krea University)
IFMR GSB is one of the best B School in terms of placement, faculty, profile offered and others. Dr. V Anantha Nageswaran is the Dean of IFMR GSB. Dr. Nageswaran, who is a management graduate from IIM Ahmedabad and has done his Doctorate from the University of Massachusetts, has been recently appointed as a member of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister.