IFMR Graduate School of Business - Interview with Prof. Shobha Das, Dean on Admission, Cutoff, Placement
IFMR Graduate School of Business formerly known as Institute for Financial Management and Research is a well-known business school ranked 53rd in NIRF 2020 Rankings for Management. IFMR started as a Research institute and offers MBA programmes in 7 areas which are Data Science, Economics, Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, Operations and Strategy. Careers360 interacted with Professor Shobha Das, Dean, IFMR to get detailed insights about the institute, its mission, admission process and placements. Aspirants can read the interview to know more details about IFMR.
Latest - MBA Admission Open Now, Click Here
Careers360: Please brief us about IFMR Graduate School of Business.
Prof. Shobha Das: IFMR, Institute of Financial Management and Research is a 50 year old institution. We have transformed along the way. We started as a research institute; then we started a full time residential MBA programme. We began with 60 and now we have expanded to 180 students.
Careers360: What are theprogrammes and specialisations offered by IFMR Graduate School of Business?
Prof. Shobha Das: The first year,we focus on developing core and skills of the students so that they are well grounded. Four interdisciplinary courses are taught by the faculty from different areas of specialisations. These are communication, ethics, design thinking and Capstone business simulation. We bring industry experts to help and enable students to think like managers. In the second-year, students have to choose their electives. We offer 7 areas of specialization namely Data Science, Economics, Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, Operations and Strategy.
Watch the entire interview with Prof. Shobha Das, Dean, IFMR Graduate School of Business
Careers360: Please share some details about rankings and accreditations.
Prof. Shobha Das: We areSouth Asian Quality Assurance System (SAQS) accredited. For the first time we are below 50 in NIRF rankings and this is a concern for us. We are trying to bring recognition and this has affected the rankings.
Careers360: What are the cutoffs for IFMR admissions?
Prof. Shobha Das: Attention is given to the academic background and 60 percent is the minimum eligibility for class 10, 12 and graduation. We accept 6 standardised test scores including CAT, XAT. We have included NMAT this year. We also accept GRE and GMAT scores. We also look at the state of purpose (SOP)written by students as well as the extracurricular activities.
Careers360: Please throw some light on diversity in terms of region, gender and stream.
Prof. Shobha Das: We have all types of students; from engineers to art students – we have them all though the number of engineers has gone down. In terms of gender we have 60 percent male and 40 percent female candidates. If work experience is considered, about 30 percent students are experienced while 70 percent are freshers. Our geographic diversity is amazing. We have representatives from all the India. We have people from all regions.
Careers360s: Is hostel facility available for the students?
Prof. Shobha Das: Yes, our hostel has the capacity to accommodate around 650 students. Students stay in 2-seater AC rooms with attached bathrooms. We have cafeterias, good sports facilities - both indoor and outdoor. Our 40-acre green campus is equipped with all the necessary facilities including 24 * 7 medical facilities.
Careers360: Are there any scholarships available?
Prof. Shobha Das: Apart from the merit scholarships in the first year, we have three 100% scholarships this year. We encourage students to apply early for these.
Careers360: How are the placements at IFMR Graduate School of Business?
Prof. Shobha Das: We have 100 percent placements. This year, 10 students of 185 opted out and we have placed all the other students. The average CTC was 9.37 lakhs, median was 9.5 lakhs and the highest was something around 13 lakhs.
Careers360: What kind of students should choose IFMR Graduate School of Business?
Prof. Shobha Das: 3 things mainly - a sharp mind as our faculty really engages with the students; students with an active lifestyle and kind hearts.
IFMR Updates and Articles
IFMR GSB Alumni Interview - He says his learnings at IFMR GSB ...
IFMR Graduate School of Business Campus Life Interview with MB...
NIRF MBA 2020 Ranking: NIRF Management Ranking In Andhra Prade...
Questions related to IFMR
Which College should I prefer amongst Christ Bangalore, Nirma Ahmedabad, Bimtech Noida, Welingkar Mumbai, Amrita Coimbatore, IFMR Chennai for MBA?
In order to make an informed decision about which college to choose for your final joining, you must analyse various parameters of a B-School to decide the one which matches with your final goals. At the end of your MBA, your goal could be entrepreneurship, higher education, job opportunities, greater exposure, increased market value or something very different. Basis the end result, please choose the college wisely.
For higher education, you should choose a college with good faculty and academic exposure, for career opportunities - choose a college with good placement records, for exposure and networking - choose a one with greater alumni base and so on.
For the colleges mentioned, I am highlighting the key parameters and the differences between the colleges. Accordingly, please review and make a choice:
Christ University Bangalore
- Course: MBA two year full time program offering PG Degree
- Fees: INR 7.9 Lakhs approx.
- Infrastructure: The infrastructure of the college is very nice and it gives a candidate the exposure to campus life. They have good facilities for library, laboratories, study centers etc. for holding discussions and learning from peers. They also offer in campus hostel facilities with different buildings for male and female.
- Faculty & Academics: The curriculum is very robust and helps in peer learning. The teaching pedagogy involves class room discussions on the case studies allotted and the faculty are well experienced and trained. A lot of faculty even have great industry exposure. The teaching methodology makes the candidate ready for professional life.
- Placements: It offers good placement to students in good companies. The average package is 7LPA while the highest is 13.12LPA. The top recruiters are Deloitte, EY, KPMG, TCS, Goldman Sachs, Cerner, Deutsche Bank, Amazon.
- Specialisations Offered: The college offer specialisations in Finance, operations, HR, strategy, marketing and Business Analytics along with a General MBA program
- Accreditations: NAAC 'A' Grade
- Recognitions: AICTE approved
The infrastructure, faculty, academics and specialisations are similar to Christ in other B-Schools also. In the other institutes i will only highlight points of differences
- Course: MBA two year full time program and MBA HRM
- Fees: INR 10 Lakhs approx.
- Scholarships: Merit and Merit cum means scholarships available
- Faculty & Academics: The core faculty are all Ph.D holders with very high level of experience and exposure in the industry.
- Placements: The average package is 8.70 LPA while the highest is 19.1 LPA. The top recruiters are Axis Bank, Infosys, Cognizant, Wipro, ADANI, ICIC Bank, Novartis, Coffee Day, Crisil, Hitachi, HDFC Life, Zomato and many more.
- Specialisations Offered: The college offer specialisations in General MBA and HR. The student can choose from a host of electives.
- Accreditations: NAAC 'A' Grade
- Entrepreneurship: A lot of alumni have successfully started companies and are running well like Winjit Solutions, x-plora designs, Odd Routes etc. Hence this is a good place if you want to build your network too.
- Notable Alumni: EVP& Business Head of Kotak Mahindra Bank, CRO in Radio Mirchi, VP Corporate Broking & SME - ICICI Lombard etc.
- 13 th among Private MBA colleges in India by Outlook in 2020
- 2 nd best college in Gujarat in 2020 by Times
- 2 nd among best colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by NIRF
- 3 rd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by The Week
- 3 rd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by ET Times
- 3 rd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2019 by Business Today
- 2 nd best among colleges in Gujarat in 2017 by Business Today
Bimtech Noida :
- Course: PGDM, PGDM International Business, PGDM IBM, PGDM Retail
- Fees: INR 9-14 Lakhs approx.
- Placements: The average package is 8.08 LPA while the highest is 18 LPA. The top recruiters are Amazon, Mindtree, ADP Inc., Wipro Technologies, Infosys, KPMG, Mazars, Oxane Partner, CGI Inc., IDFC First Bank, Acuity Knowledge Partners, ICICI Bank, TCS, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Wipro Digital, Wipro Consumer Care and Lightings, HDFC Bank, Panasonic, Exponential, ABFRL, Go Digit, Coforge, , HDFC Ltd., Bajaj Allianz General Insurance, SBI General Insurance Co., Ultra Tech Cement Ltd., Cians Analytics, Hevo Data, Howden India, ICRA Ltd., HCL Technologies Ltd., Reliance Retail, Total IT Global, ISGEC Heavy Engineering, Tech Mahindra and many more among others.
- Accreditations: NAAC 'A' Grade and NBA
- Notable Alumni: Co-Founder Purple Sketch Digital, Director Zeco Aircon, Deputy Manager Honda Cars etc.
- 6th among Private B Schools by NHRDN-Shine.com (//NHRDN-Shine.com)
- 10th among private B Schools by MBA Universe.com (//Universe.com)
- 47th MHRD's NIRF rankings
- Course: PGDM
- Fees: INR 11-15 Lakhs approx.
- Placements: The average package is 11 LPA while the highest is 22 LPA. The top recruiters are Bloomberg, Deloitte, EY, Citibank, CRISIL, ICIC Bank, HCL etc.
- Course: MBA
- Fees: INR 13 Lakhs approx.
- Placements: The average package is 5.37 LPA while the highest is 28.4 LPA. The top recruiters are Axis BAnk, Aditya Birla, Bajaj Capital, BNP PAribas, Birla sun Life, Citibank, Colgate Palmolive, Future Group etc.
I scored 209 in NMAT EXAM ON 3RD FEB 2021 , should I fill KJ OR IFMR INSTITUTES FORM?
As per the trends of previous year the cuoff for both these colleges are around 200-220 as per the level of the paper but as you know the cut off depends upon the number of seats available, the difficulty level of paper and number of candidates writing the examination hence it varies every year depending on these factors. The K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research is an autonomous business school located in Mumbai. It was established in 1981.
IFMR - Graduate School of Business a private business school located Andhra Pradesh.College offers admission to the two-year full-time Master in Business Administration.
For more information you can visit the following link:
which is best among IFIM and IFMR for pgdm finance
Both the colleges are good. But Institute of Financial Management and Research , Chennai (IFMR ) is much better and more ahead from Institute of Finance and International Management in terms of faculty, Placement, profile offered and others too. IFMR also has smaller size batches as compared to IFIM. According to 2018 batches , placement was 8.3 lakhs per annum of IFMR and 7.43 lakhs per annum of IFIM. According to PGDM Finance also the college is good and student get good jobs.
I hope your question has been answered properly!
All the best for your future!
I scored 84 percentile in CMAT 2020 exam and have 2 years of work experience and first division in both X and XII also secured 79 percent marks in graduation. So can I expect to get a call from IFMR?
IFMR is the private college which is located 70km away from Chennai. It is a good college for pursuing.
You have scored good and there is a chance for call from IFMR . You also have a work experience which is plus for you
Here is the link by which you can predict your college through CMAT score:-
I hope this helps.
how is IFMR college ( Krea University)
IFMR GSB is one of the best B School in terms of placement, faculty, profile offered and others. Dr. V Anantha Nageswaran is the Dean of IFMR GSB. Dr. Nageswaran, who is a management graduate from IIM Ahmedabad and has done his Doctorate from the University of Massachusetts, has been recently appointed as a member of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister.