Cracking IIM Lucknow admission is easier than IIM Indore - Reveals RTI
IIM Lucknow Admission: Is it tougher to crack IIM Lucknow than IIM Indore? The answer, going by perception, is ‘yes’. But, the answer is ‘no’ if you go by the admission cutoff data of the two institutes. An RTI query related to admission cutoff data of these institutes reveals that a seat in IIM Indore was tougher to crack as compared to IIM Lucknow in the admission year 2021.
The older the IIM, the tougher it is to crack. This is the common perception among MBA aspirants while measuring interview call chances from the IIMs, especially given the fact that IIM Lucknow is the fourth IIM of India and 12 years older than IIM Indore. However, the popular perception is a myth that is busted in this article by Careers360.
Stay up-to date with CAT News
Ongoing MBA Admission 2021
IIM Lucknow Admission 2021
While answering a question comparing IIM Lucknow and Indore on Quora, Amit Datta, an IIM L student answers, “IIML is considered among the tough four IIM’s in the colleges. It is probably the only IIM that can dare to compete with A, B, and C (probably that is why they have a sports fest just within these four). The professors, infrastructure, and diverse batch profile make it really special.
”But, despite being the fourth IIM, the interview call cutoff composite score for IIM Lucknow is lower than that of IIM Indore, as revealed by RTI queries. The CAT cutoff or screening percentile for General category candidates is the same for both IIM Indore and IIM Lucknow, i.e. 90. However, the cutoffs mentioned at the admission criteria can be quite misleading and there is a stark difference between the shortlist cutoff and the actual interview call cutoff. Careers360 has already shown the huge gap between the two in this article and assessed the reasons.
How big is the gap between cutoffs?
The following table brings to you the interview cutoff scores of both IIM Indore and IIM Lucknow for the previous admission year 2020-22, as mentioned by the institutes through RTI requests.
IIM Indore and Lucknow Interview Call Cutoff Percentage – General category
Call Cutoff (with a maximum score of 100)
Both institutes have released shortlist data in terms of Composite Scores. The components that are included in computing the Composite Score include the CAT score, past academic records, work experience, and Academic & Gender Diversity. For the admission year 2021, the maximum weightage for IIM Lucknow and IIM Indore’s Composite Score was 50 and 100 respectively.
After equating the composite scores of both institutes considering the maximum score to be 100, IIM Indore cut off more than 70 for IIM Lucknow, it is around 57 out of 100. Not just for the General category candidates, the gap is equally big for the other categories, such as Other Backward Classes (OBC), Scheduled Caste (SC), and Scheduled Tribe (ST). Refer to the table below for the cutoff scores of other candidate categories in IIM Indore and IIM Lucknow.
Top MBA Entrance Exams
IIM Indore and Lucknow Interview Call Cutoff Percentage – Other categories
Call Cutoff (with maximum score of 100)
The difference is approximately 20 percent in the cutoff for other candidate categories as well and not just in the General category. Now that you know the actual interview cutoff, let us assess the final admission criteria followed by these prestigious institutes.
Factors of Shortlist and Final Selection
Both institutes consider past academic records, diversity factors along CAT scores. Not all shortlisting factors are the same and for common factors, the weightages vary. Take a look at the below tables.
IIM Lucknow Shortlist Factors and Weightages - 2021
CAT Score (CS)
Class XII Marks (12M)
Diversity Factor: Academic Discipline (DFa)
Diversity Factor: Gender (DFb)
Although the parameters considered for shortlisting remained the same, the maximum Composite Score for shortlisting was 50 instead of 100 in 2020.
IIM Indore Shortlist Factors and Weightages - 2021
10th Standard/SSC Scores
12th Standard/HSC Scores
CAT 2020 Overall Score
Gender Diversity Factor (GDF)
4 for Female Applicants 0 for others
Sum of the Above Scores (Max 100)
While IIM Lucknow does not consider Class X score in the past academic records criteria, IIM Indore does not take the Graduation marks into account. Moreover, Work Experience and Academic Diversity factors are also not included for Writing Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI) shortlist of the latter. IIM Indore gives the least weightage to CAT score for shortlisting candidates for WAT-PI rounds.
Final Selection Criteria
For preparing the final merit list, both IIM Lucknow and Indore consider factors like WAT and PI performance, CAT score along with their respective shortlist parameters. The weightages for both IIMs are in the tables below.
IIM Lucknow Final Selection Criteria - 2021
Personal Interview (PI)
Written Ability Test (WAT)
Academic Performance (12M + GM)
IIM Indore Final Selection Criteria - 2021
10th Standard/SSC Scores
12th Standard/HSC Scores
CAT Overall Score
CAT Scores are given higher weightage in IIM Lucknow
For the final selection, IIM Lucknow assigns a higher weightage to CAT than that of IIM Indore. Among the parameters, the Personal Interview round is given the highest weightage by both the IIMs followed by CAT score. Hence, in order to convert the call from IIM Indore, the candidates not only have to perform well in WAT-PI rounds but also have a good academic background. Both CAT scores and academic records carry a weightage of 20 percent in IIM Indore's final selection criteria.
For IIM Lucknow, not only do candidates’ WAT-PI, CAT, and past academic records matter but work experience and both academic and gender diversity factors are taken into account.
You may note that last year, i.e. for admission in the academic year 2020-22, IIM Indore's final selection criteria did not include a CAT score. The merit list was generated on the basis of performance in WAT-PI, past academics (Class 10, Class 12, and Bachelor’s Degree).
Academics Vs Work Experience - Who has a better chance?
Based on the above criteria, a fresher with strong academic records will have a better chance to convert IIM Indore call compared to IIM Lucknow. At the same time, someone with good work experience but not so strong academic records or from a non-engineering background can expect to convert IIM Lucknow call.
Assessing chances of converting calls for IIM Indore, Akshay Sharma, an IIM Lucknow student says, “IIM Indore gives the least importance to CAT score in giving GD/PI calls. Even a percentile>99/99.5 is not enough to get a call. One can get a call for an interview even with a percentile of 96–98 if he/she has balanced and good academics.”
Despite having a tough admission process, MBA aspirants seem to prefer IIM Lucknow over IIM Indore. But as they say, age is just a number and you should consider the achievements of a B-School over the number of functioning years.
Perception Vs Reality
There is a difference between common perception and reality. While in your perception IIM Indore is a younger institute, hence should be easier to get in. But in reality, despite being established over a decade since the inception of IIM Lucknow, the achievements of the former institute are no less. In fact, IIM Indore was the first institute to introduce the five-year Integrated Programme in Management in the year 2011. Let us take a look at the other strengths and factors of both B-schools.
Both institutes have multiple campuses
IIM Indore has a second campus in Mumbai which was established in 2012. The Mumbai campus was the only IIM in Maharashtra, till IIM Nagpur was established in 2015. IIM Indore was also the first IIM to have an international campus in Ras-al-Khaimah, UAE. However, the campus stopped functioning in 2014 owing to regulatory issues, poor batch strength, and other reasons.
The second campus of IIM Lucknow is located in Noida, Uttar Pradesh which offers the three-year Working Manager’s Programme. The Noida campus was established in 2005.
Programmes and Accreditations
The programmes of both institutes are accredited by the Association of MBAs, London or AMBA, one of the prestigious accrediting bodies. At present, IIM Indore offers four full-time programmes as listed below:
Post Graduate Programme, offered in both Indore and Mumbai campuses
Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management
Integrated Programme in Management
Fellow Programme in Management
The institute also offers Post Graduate Programme in Management for Executives in the Mumbai campus, which is a two-year alternate week programme.
While IIM Indore does not offer any specialized programme, IIM Lucknow offers two specialized programmes, in Agribusiness Management (PGP-ABM) and Sustainable Management (PGP-SM) along with the flagship two year PGP. The full-time programmes at IIM Lucknow include:
Post Graduate Programme
Post Graduate Programme in Agribusiness Management
Post Graduate Programme in Sustainable Management
International Programme in Management for Executives
IIM Lucknow also offers Fellow Programme in Management and Executive Fellow Programme in Management.
IIM Indore has 95 full-time faculty members and 63 visiting faculty members. There are around 1500 students on campus. As many as 82 full-time faculty members are there in IIM Lucknow with around 1100 students.
IIM Indore has mentored three new IIMs, IIM Raipur, IIM Udaipur, and IIM Sambalpur established in the years 2010, 2011, and 2015 respectively. On the other hand, IIM Lucknow is the mentee institute of four new IIMs, namely, IIM Rohtak (2010), IIM Kashipur (2011), IIM Sirmaur (2015), and IIM Jammu (2016).
B-School Accepting CAT Scores - Location-wise
CAT Result 2022 - IIM Bangalore will declare the CAT 2022 Resu...
CAT previous year’s question papers with Solutions - Candidate...
Top MBA Colleges 60 Percentile in CAT 2022 - Find here a List ...
Top Colleges In India Accepting CAT Score - Candidates can che...
CAT 2022- View all details about CAT 2022 exam dates, exam pat...
Questions related to CAT
which top colleges accept scores of exams snap, nmat, cat, mat, cmat, GMAT? also what are the eligibility criteria for GMAT exam and also which top colleges accept GMAT score and micat exam is conducted for which top colleges except mica
GMAT is graduate management admission test which is conducted by GMAC for admission of MBA in many countries, the eligibility criteria regarding this is as follows;
Candidates needs to be 18 years old or above,
Pass bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, those in the final year or working professionals too are eligible to apply,
Should have a valid passport,
As the exam is conducted in English, hence proficiency in the same language is required as well,
Candidate can take maximum of five attempts in a year, and overall 8 attempts for lifetime, and there has to be a gap of 16 days prior to retaking the exam,
Colleges in India accepting GMAT scores are as follows;
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI New Delhi
- Xavier University Bhubaneswar (XUB)
- Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
- T A Pai Management Institute (TAPMI) Manipal
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM) Goa
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, Delhi
- BIMTECH Greater Noida
- MICA Ahmedabad
- IFIM Business School, Bangalore
- SOIL-School of Business Design, Gurgaon
explore more detailed information about GMAT at https://www.careers360.com/exams/gmat
check out the entire list of colleges in India accepting GMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-gmat?icn=college_listing_accepting_score&ici=GMAT_exam_view
SNAP is conducted for 60 minutes in MCQs format, each question consists of one mark, there is deduction of 0.25 marks for each incorrect attempt, the following sections are included in the entrance test:-
- General English
- Analytical & Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative, Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
The colleges accepting scores of SNAP are listed below;
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pimpri-Chinchwad
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Rangareddy,
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance, Pune
- LM Thapar School of Management, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dera Bassi
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences, Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management, Nashik,
- Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Management, Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research Pune,
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune,
- Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore,
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences, Lavale,
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management, Lavale
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak International Business School, Lucknow
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management,, Nagpur
- Om Bio Science and Management College, Haridwar Roorkee
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-snap to know more details regarding this.
CMAT is conducted for 180 minutes, and additional 30 minutes is allotted for optional section, there are total of five sections(one is optional) and each one consists of 25 questions for 100 marks as mentioned below-
- Quantitative techniques and data interpretation
- Logical reasoning
- General awareness
- Language comprehension
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (optional)
for each correct answer four marks are awarded and in case of each incorrect attempt one mark is deduced,
The selection process mainly consists of three rounds:-
Written Ability Test,
Group Discussion, and
Some of the top colleges offering admission for MBA Programme through CMAT are mentioned below-
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai
- University of Pune, Department of Management Sciences
- Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi
- Welingkar Institute of Management, Mumbai
- Goa Institute of Management
- Institute of Management Technology, Ghaziabad
- Amity University, Noida
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida
Explore more detailed information about the complete list of colleges offering MBA through CMAT at https://bschool.careers360.com/articles/top-b-schools-accepting-cmat-scores
The list of colleges accepting scores of NMAT are as follows;
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- School of Business Management SVKM's Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- VIT Business School Vellore,
- IBS Business School Hyderabad,
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- ITM Business School Navi Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Bangalore
- GITAM Hyderabad Business School Hyderabad,
- GITAM Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam
- Alliance School of Business, Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Mumbai,
- Amity Business School Noida,
- Goa Institute of Management Poriem,
- Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- ISBR Business School Bangalore
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies Hyderabad,
- Mittal School of Business, Lovely Professional University
- Centre for Management Studies, Jain University, Bangalore
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bennett University, Greater Noida
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat,
- IIHMR University, Jaipur
- Amity University, Mumbai
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- Galgotias University, Greater Noida
- BML Munjal University, Gurgaon
- Chitkara Business School, Patiala
- Woxsen University Hyderabad - Woxsen School of Business, Hyderabad,
- School of Petroleum Management, Pandit Deendayal Energy University, Gandhinagar
- Amity University, Noida
- School of Business, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
check out our page at https://bschool.careers360.com/colleges/list-of-mba-colleges-in-india-accepting-nmat-by-gmac to know more details regarding this.
I did not self attest my obc certificate in cat application. what should I do?
Hope you are doing fine! Below are the categories who get benefits of reservation in CAT -
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the non - creamy layer (NC - OBC).
To avail the reservation benefits one must upload the catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration. In case of other mba colleges you might get chance to apply separately as many mba colleges take separate applications for admission after cat exam. But in case of IIMs candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on their application while registration for cat, during the selection process they need to produce the documents for verification. But in your case if you have not attached catagory certificate at the time of CAT registration you will be shortlisted as per general cutoff. Below I have provided you previous year cutoff for different IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad - 85 percentile
- IIM Bangalore - 85 percentile
- IIM Calcutta - 85 percentile
- IIM Lucknow - 90 percentile
- IIM Indore - 90 percentile
- IIM Kozhikode - 85 percentile
- IIM Amritsar - 85 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Sambalpur - 93 percentile
- IIM Trichy - 93 percentile
- IIM Raipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Ranchi - 93 percentile
- IIM Kashipur - 94 percentile
- IIM Vizag - 80 percentile
- IIM Udaipur - 93 percentile
- IIM Bodhgaya - 93 percentile
- IIM Shillong - 75 percentile
- IIM Sirmaur - 93 percentile
- IIM Rohtak - 95 percentile
- IIM Nagpur - 85 percentile
- IIM Jammu - 93 percentile
All the best :)
how to start the quantitative aptitude preparation topics for CAT exam?
Although there are many online resources for CAT 2022 candidates, for many of them, preparing for the CAT mathematical ability part is one of the most tough and challenging undertakings. The QA part is regarded by the majority of elite CAT scorers as one of the most unexpected and time-consuming. And for candidates without an engineering-related educational background, learning how to prepare for the CAT quantity ability is like cracking a hard nut.
For every detailed information on how to prepare for cat quantitative aptitude section, you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you.
what is CAT exam? full information about it
The Common Admission Test is the full name of the exam. A prominent national MBA entrance exam is being taken. A computer-based test will be used to administer the CAT 2022 exam. A little over 2.3 lakh students are anticipated to sign up for the CAT 2022. At 20 IIMs and more than 1,000 B-Schools in India, CAT 2022 will be held for MBA and PGDM admissions.
For more information you can visit our site by clicking on link given below.
Hope this information helps you
Hello , i have completed btech but i have 3 supply and if i manage to complete all by next year & if the results are not published by the time pg entrance notification is out , can i apply for pg ? also write exam SSC CGL ?
Firstly you need to clear all your three supply, there are many universities which does offer admission provisionally as final year candidates too are eligible to apply, so you have to check out the exact details by visiting the official website, coming to SSC CGL you need to attain the required educational qualifications by the specific date as mentioned in the official notification, and unless you clear the supply, you won't be able to apply for the same,
When it comes to job profiles of SSC CGL, there are only three posts which have specific criteria pertaining to it which are as follows;
Assistant Audit Officer/Assistant Accounts Officer : essential qualification is bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university, desirable qualification is ca/cma/cs/mcom/mba(finance),masters in business economics and masters in business studies
Junior Statistical Officer : Bachelor's degree in any discipline with 60% marks in maths at 10+2 level or graduation in any subject with statisics as a subject in all the three years of graduation.
Statistical Investigator Grade II ; Bachelor's degree in any discipline with statisics as a subject in all the three years of graduation.
Assistant in NCLAT ; The desirable qualification is passed degree in law from a recognized university,
Research Assistant in NHRC ; The desirable qualification is passed degree in law/human rights from a recognized university, a minimum of one year research experience from a recognized university is required.
Other than aforementioned posts, others only have eligibility criteria of passed bachelor's degree in any discipline from a recognized university.